🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
tank1'.jpg
tank2.jpg
Hello all,

Well it has been a while since I have been on this forum. I never lost interest in the hobby and my 55 gl planted tank was up and running for 3 and a half years and everything was great. I say was because I upgraded to a 120 gl!! I absolutely love it. I transferred everything from the 55 to it last week, plants, animals and filters. I got a new light for it and I am in the process of deciding what I want for new fish.

I loved this forum just lost interest in it but I thought with a new tank it would be fun to post about it again.

The current stock is

4 pearl gouramis (1m,3f)
9 harlequin rasporas
5 Buenos aries tetras (I don't want to keep this species anymore)
8 corys (4 juliis, 2 peppers and 2 sterbai) ( I don't want the pepper or sterbai anymore just the juliis.)
2 dojo loaches
1 clown pleco
5 oto cats
2 viper shrimp
2 bamboo shrimp

All of the above I have had for 3 years or more. I started with 5 each of the corys, 8 of the tetras, and 12 of the rasporas but everything else was the same. Over the years I have had some die off like my beloved angelfish. She was a beaut but one day she wasn't there anymore and I never saw her body. Truth be told, I was doing water changes about every 2 to 3 weeks, half the volume. I can't tell you the last time I tested anything, has to be 2 years now. There were whole weeks that went by that, besides throwing their usual food in the tank every day and the water changes (at which time I would trim what plants that needed it) there were weeks that went by that I didn't pay much attention to it. I was comfortable with it and it was in a place that wasn't very comfortable to sit and stare at it. I hope that doesn't make me a bad fishkeeper.

But with this one, I put it in the living room where I could sit on the couch and watch everything and I am so pumped about it. First, let me tell you the water stats.

pH is 6.8
KH is 2-3
GH is 2-3
Temp is 78F
Ammonia is 0ppm
Nitrite is 0ppm
Nitrate is 0ppm

The nitrate is 0 because it is a new tank but I'm using both the filters from the old tank. 2 Fluval 304 canisters. The new filter is a brand new Marineland Magniflow Canister 360. It's rated for 100gl tanks so I am keeping the old ones on this 120gl tank. I am going to monitor the levels closely to make sure there are no spikes and I am waiting 3 months till I am confident that the new filter has had time to cycle before I add anymore fish. But here are my current thoughts on that.

6 Angelfish
20 cardinal tetras (I love small schooling fish)
6 more julii corys
6 glass catfish
Some interesting looking species of pleco, haven't decided about that yet.
I would also like to find a true oddball fish that would go with everything. I'm having trouble finding something like that that is peaceful and suitable for my soft water.
I am also really wanting crabs. I found Panther crabs and I have those ordered (didn't think an invert would hurt as far as the cycle goes.) My research into them leads me to believe that since my filter shrimp have done so well that would be successful with panther crabs. Here's hoping.

As always, I welcome any insights.

I have pictures

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back