Baby's being eaten

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cyborg100

Reaction score
I have 5 platys, 3 mollies, and 2 swordtails in a 20 gallon tank with 2 decent hiding spots. If one of my fish gives birth how likely is it that all of the babies will be eaten?

Thanks

Platies and swordtails aren't big fry eaters, but mollies are. You'll need a lot more than two hiding spots; you want big clumps of live plants; I'd say enough to cover at least a third of the tank..

Floating plants, or plants that reach the surface and spread across it, are best, as fish fry naturally gravitate to the surface.

Any fry that survive and begin growing will need another tank or you will be seriously over-stocked in the 20 gallon. Swordtails really should be in a longer tank as they can get large, and so can mollies. By large I am meaning 4-5 inches, some give 6 inches for swordtails and female mollies.

Platies and swordtails aren't big fry eaters, but mollies are. You'll need a lot more than two hiding spots; you want big clumps of live plants; I'd say enough to cover at least a third of the tank..
I have 3 plants, but they don't cover much surface area. What type of plant is best?

Most reactions

trending

Back