Baby Plecs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

topcat1

Reaction score
Hi we joined the forum today and would like to announce that we have baby plecos born in our aquarium we have ,we think, 15 babies? we think this might be a raretey, as we have read that this is not very common? 

welcomeani.gif
  What Pleco's do you have?

hi there, we think they are just common plecs tho the male is much larger than the female we think he is a bristlenose plec. we have transferred the babies to a smaller tank but think there are still more hiding in larger tank 

Bristlenose plecs are extremely easy to breed in the home aquarium which sounds like what you have, as far as I am aware common and bristlenose can't interbreed, female plecos don't usually have many bristles compared to the male hence your confusion, well done though, they are great little plecs
smile.png
if you can post a pic of the adults that would be great.

have been trying to post pics of pleco parents with no success we have a young male swordtail and  a mature male swordtail  with there own matching females but found the young swordtail continued to bully the mature male and somehow he lost his sword so i seperated them in order for the mature male to recover as it kept hiding glad to say now he is growing with confidence and lkooks as tho his sword is reforming but the young male is still seperate from him wouyld you know if male swordtails fight with each other in the 20 yrs i kept tropicals never seen a male swordtail lose his sword 

It's quite common for livebearers to fight with each other, the excepted ratio to even out aggression is 3-1 in favour of females, it's likely your dominant male is just fighting for the both females.

Try upping the female ratio and see if that calms him down, if not it would probably be best to keep them separated as they will often fight till the death.

As to the plecs, Betta fish is probably right and BN's are renowned for ease of breeding and she is also correct, BN's and commons wont cross breed, infact havibg commons breed in an aquarium environment is very very unlikely.

Yeah, they sound like BN's :) To upload a photo, upload the photo from your comp on to a hosting site like Photobucket and copy the IMG code and just paste it into your text box like so :)

Pleco.jpg

This is my old Sailfin Pleco :)

ok many thanks for the advice on swordtails and uploading the pictures 

this is our male bristle nose plec 
IMAG0003_zps46d07780.jpg

this is our female plec, were not sure if it is a bristle nose plec or not?
IMAG0004_zps2a598c27.jpg

Yes you have a pair of bristlenoses there, females do not have apparent bristles as the males do but she is still a bristlenose
smile.png

Yup, BN's :) Extremely easy to breed :lol: Females have very short or no bristles :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back