Baby 2'' Electric Blue Dempsey And Baby 4" Southamerican

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Toology88

Reaction score
They will be started off in a 40 gallon tank with a common pleco. I have a 6 foot 125 gallon tank for when they outgrow. Lots of rockwork with caves. Any problems you think I'll run into? I know once the Red tail grows larger its a possibility of him taking out the dempsys. i will probly put about 3 electric blue dempseys in, but for those first 6-8 months is there anything i should be cautious of?

Be cautious of the fact that most electric blue dempseys don't live for 6-8 months. Prone to dying for no apparent reason. I'd probably stick to only 1 dempsey, they don't like each other that much.

What is the red tail you refer to? All I can think of is a red tail catfish, which I hope it's not as an adult could polish off a fully grown JD never mind a juvenile.

Mine lasted 14 months and never grew an inch lol.

Mine is currently growing (he says touching lots of wood lol)

my initial idea was one 4" baby southamerican redtail catfish and one 2" baby electric blue jack dempsey. My father has had regular jack dempsey in his tank for over a year now and its grown beautifully so is it just the electric blues that have a short lifespan? ifso then ill just go with the one baby redtail cat and one baby jack depmsey rather than the baby electric blue dempsey.

It is only the electric blues, yes. They've been overbred and it's only once in a blue moon that somebody gets one to grow to full size, none the less full lifespan.

The red tail cat will eat a full grown jack. I'd just not get one period. They're river monsters with huge mouths. IMO even the 6 foot tank is too small for one. They grow quick as well.

yeah i know they grow quick but hes pretty much the only one i want, if he eats the dempsey then so be it ya know. i was just wondering if when their babys theyd mess with eachother or could i at least get a few months of enjoying the tank before the redtail eats em, i also have a pond built in my backyard for if he does get that big but ill have a few years before that, ive had redtails from babys and up until they tooke up half my 150 gallon. also the fish store i get them from takes em back for their gigantic aquarium in the store if their too big for a customer

If You dont care if it eats your jack Dempsey why get the jd ?

A rtc? Really? What tank are you thinking of keeping it in? If its the 6ft then I would just say that it is waaaaay too small for it when adult.

No way could you put a redtail cat in a 6 foot tank. The fish itself CAN get up to 4 feet and very chunky. You will need a 12ft long x 4ft wide at least. They need huuuge tanks, they will grow at a rate of over 1 inch per month and it's not a case of "IF" it will eat a JD, it's a case of "WHEN" it feels like eating it. Redtail catfish are one of those fish that really shouldn't be on sale to the public to keep in home aquariums because most people can't accommodate for their needs. Not only is the tank size a problem but they eat LOADS so they cost a lot to keep well fed and healthy. Really not a good idea gettin one IMO

Most reactions

Back