Axolotl! Best Way To Care For Them?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adizzle620

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just snagged an Axolotl from my friend who breeds them. So far, I have the little bud in a thirty gallon tank all alone. I don't have any substrate in it, and just some pebbles(large) and some glass cut "rock". I also have a large pot type decoration that my new buddy hides behind a lot. The tank is at 62 degrees Fahrenheit. Too cold, too warm?

I've read that I shouldn't get regular aquarium gravel for the bottom, since they can swallow it and then choke. I don't have access to fine sand, but petco has their own brand of black sand. It's small, but not tiny tiny. Will that be okay as a substrate?

I'm going to be looking for some 'hides' at the LFS, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find any right away. They're pretty barebones with that kind of stuff. So far I've fed a diet of frozen bloodworms and some feeder goldfish. Is this alright? Or should I change it up?

Any advice for this little guy is appreciated!

Hey adizzle!

Your temperature is perfect, your new buddy will love it! Make sure that the pebbles are bigger than his head so he doesn't swallow them. Gravel can severely hurt your axolotl, and bare-bottom is good, but they can sometimes have problems getting a grip on it. Sand is the best choice. Most sand is OK and will be perfect for them, but make sure you have at least an inch of sand, because axies like to dig sometimes. An extremely cheaper sand choice is just regular play sand from your hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). As for hides, Axolotls would enjoy a simple clay pot cracked on the sides. Bloodworms are a great treat, but not a very good staple diet. Good choices are blackworms, earthworms, nightcrawlers, or quality pellets. I dont know much about feeder golds, but ive heard they dont have much nutrition.

Good Luck!

They deal better with low temperatures, they do not like high temps at all. Recommended between 10C - 20C (50 - 68F)

Sand i have found to be the best substrate to keep them on...

They enjoy beefheart (frozen blocks), use only as a treat though. I would not be feeding them goldfish, they do nothing for nutrition, and are very fatty. A good quality soft pellet is the best staple food, add to that the treats (worms etc). Bloodworm though is quite nutritious and can be feed quite a bit more often than other types of worm.

I think you're on the right track. Temps of preferrably below 70F (They thrive and just do well in 70F here thats why i said that *note geographic location*), fine sand or a bare bottom, regularly filtered water and a regular meal of worms 3-4 times a week is great.

Other than that, congrats and enjoy your axie! :D

Just be aware bare bottom tanks can stress Axoltyls, they find it difficult to get traction, and some really dont like it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back