Automatic Feeder Machine for MicroPellets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

coolfishfan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have guppies. I feed them Hikari Micro Pellets.
Am going for a two week vacation.
Thinking of installing an automatic feeding machine.
Not sure which model/machine is the right choice
for thin and tiny micro pellets.
There is a risk that the machine may release more
pellets than required because of their small size.

Please suggest me the best machine for use with
micro pellets.

Thanks.

There is more risk than just what you mention...some of these auto feeders have been known to fail and cause terrible water problems that can kill the fish. I personally would not recommend using any "auto" feeder. Mature fish can go for two weeks without food. Or you may have a reliable friend, even if only to feed them once or twice and ensure all is well.

Having said that, others may have experience with reliable feeders, and it is up to you.

Byron.

Mature fish can go for two weeks without food.

Isn't it our job as responsible fish keepers to minimize stress the fish experience? How would you like to go without food for 2 weeks? If you don't feed fish they will get hungry and will eat shrimp. Once the shrimp are goon your larger fish might start attacking and eating their other tank mates.

I have used automatic fish feeders and they are reliable if setup correctly. The big problem people make is they buy it and then set it up the day they go on vacation. If they make a mistake or the new feeder doesn't work or dispenses too much food, you come back from vacation to dead fish and or toxic water loaded with ammonia.

The key is to set it up a week or more before your vacation. Make sure you are home when it feeds. verify it is working mechanically and feeding the way you programed it to . Also adjust the feeder to dispense the correct amount of food. Also verify the food isn't too big to clog the nozzle. When set up correctly it can work reliably for months. Without any problems. i have had good experience with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eheim+fish+feeder&tag=ff0d01-20

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I try not to leave fish for 2 weeks, and have relatively reliable friends so haven't had to, but would certainly run the auto feeders on a lower feeding regime, especially as it would also mean that I wasn't doing a water change while I was away.

this automatic fish feeder looks pretty decent..it gives up to 14 single dose feedings for two weeks or two feedings per day for one week. You can add the amount you wish to feeding 14 individual compartments, so overfeeding or underfeeding would not happen. Also, you can attach an airline to it to keep food from getting moisture in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YK5W18/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have to concur with Byron that these auto feeders are more prone to going wrong for a variety of reasons. I have heard many horror stories from members about auto feeders going wrong and subsequently has a dire effect on their stocking.

If possible at all, a reliable friend or family member would be the ideal. Even just to feed once a week, you could put the correct amount of food in a weekly pill box or small container (hide the packet of food so no more can be added) and this freind/family member just has to simply sprinkle the food onto the water, and perhaps topping up the tank water if required with a jug of tap water, no need for dechlorinator for a small amount of water.

This is what I did the last time I went away for 2 weeks on holiday.

Having said that, I have gone away for 10 days and could not get hold of anyone to feed my fish, I simply made sure fed the fish for at least 3 consecutive days and did a large water change (about 60%) the day before I left, when returned all was totally fine, fed the fish and topped up the tank and did a large water change the following day.

Healthy fish are fine to be left for a while without feeding, this happens in the wild so its fairly natural imho. Am not so sure I fully agree with Steven F's first paragraph but its a valid point from a different perspective.

There is no real right or wrong answer, its how you feel would work best for your tank set up and stocking, after all, no one knows your tank and stocking better than you :)

Thank you very much everybody....suggestions were useful.

I agree with stevenF, because at first we should check out how they take their food after set up a automatic fish feeder, but I think it will work fast, when I went a long journey and believe me this feeder has been kept my fishes strong, and without any checking I just left my house. Still it works great and I got it from fishboxpro. If you want to get more info about it simply go ahead and check out this particular page fishboxpro and I hope it will never let you down.
Thank you,

I love traveling, mostly every weekend I and my families went a short trip. In my house, I have an aquarium with some colorful fishes, but I am so much concern about my fishes feeding when we are going to trip. Then my friend suggests me a website link where I can found out some automatic fish feeder machine reviews, and I bought one device. The site helps me a lot to find out the best fish feeder device. If you want then check it out.

I love traveling, mostly every weekend I and my families went a short trip. In my house, I have an aquarium with some colorful fishes, but I am so much concern about my fishes feeding when we are going to trip. Then my friend suggests me a website link where I can found out some automatic fish feeder machine reviews, and I bought one device. The site helps me a lot to find out the best fish feeder device. If you want then check it out.
this topic is a year old

I'm going to have to disagree! I regularly use the Ehiem feeders and they work great! There is the everyday feeder
eheimeveryday.jpg

And the twin feeder;
eheimtwin.jpg

The everyday feeder works best with granular/pellets or small flakes, The auger twin handles flake food just fine.
I use these on fry tanks all the time and have used them while away on trips.
I ensure that the delivery is what I want and in the case of a trip, you setup and monitor days or weeks ahead of time.
As I said, I have found these feeders to be bullet proof.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back