Aussie Native Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Its been a while since I shared any pictures of my amazing Australian native shrimp. True they are not quite in the league of another native shrimp Zebra Shrimp ( Caridina zebra) a shrimp that I adore but know from experience are all but impossible to keep. Nor do they seem to have quite the WOW factor of Sulawesi shrimp, some more dream shrimp for me.
BUT my little Aussie natives from the Northern Territory are in my eyes amazing, beautiful and fascinating to watch.
The tank they have lived in for a couple of years now also houses some equally beautiful Spotted Blue Eyes and some locally caught native snails. I affectionately call the tank my Native Tank (although I also have another tank of Pacific Blue Eyes with whiptail catfish and black cherry shrimp, and a 4ft with most likely a crimsonspotted rainbow fish variant local to my area).

The shrimp in residence of the Native Tank are
Darwin Red-nose Shrimp (Caridina sp. Gulf1)
Blackmore River Shrimp (Caridina sp. NT2)
North Australian Chameleon Shrimp (Caridina sp. WA4)
Darwin Algae Shrimp ( Caridina sp, NTnilotica )

There may also still be kicking about in the tank some Caridina confuse a close relative of Caridina zebra.

Size wise the largest shrimp in the collection are the Darwin Algae Shrimp (DAS) which are quite a robust chunky shrimp. Next largest are the Darwin Red-nose Shrimp (DRN) which are a long slim shrimp which look very delicate especially when swimming. Next down the list would be the North Australian Chameleon Shrimp which as their name suggests are quite cryptic and change their colours and patterns depending on mood, habitat and water condition. And lastly the smallest of the bunch are the Blackmore River Shrimp, these also get some interesting patterns and colours and mixing them with the chameleons probably was not the brightest idea since it is now near impossible to easily distinguish juvi Blackmores and juvi Chameleon. But since these shrimp are more just for my enjoyment it doesn't matter too much being able to tell who is who.
So if you have found this interesting sit back and enjoy the following picture show

The snails had all swarmed because of the food I had put there to con the shrimp into easy viewing/ photography range.
I would love to be rid of the MTS and the Ramshorns but nothing can do that which wouldn't also kill my desired snails or harm the shrimp.

awesome !!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back