Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ask Questions About Cycling

Discussion in 'Cycle your Tank' started by Chad, Jul 9, 2013.

1. eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

3-5 days should be fine. Would be ok to add another snack dose.

2. GuppyGal2018

GuppyGal2018 New Member

So, I just purchased a Biorb Flow 8 gal tank and I want to move my guppies to it. We have amazingly hard water here that has killed several of my pumps/aerators. I've set up the tank and put the starter bacteria in but I'm not comfortable just putting my kiddos in the tank. I know I should be able to speed up the cycling of my tank and I can move some of my bacteria covered ornaments/plants to help but how fast would be safe to move my kids?

#437 GuppyGal2018, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You mention the hard water has damaged several air pumps. Can you tell us what happened to them?

4. GuppyGal2018

GuppyGal2018 New Member

I have an old tank that is 10 gal with the side filtration system that aerates when the water goes back in. The mineral deposits build up and keep the motor or pump or whatever from turning and then they burn out.

5. candrews999

candrews999 Fish Fanatic

Hi all we (read I) are cycling my daughters 60litre tank which she intends stocking with some shrimp and a male betta. I/we have added the snack dose of ammonia and ammonia is now at 0 but nitrites have been at 2 for about a week. Do I need to add more ammonia or just add more patience?
    Many thanks in advance
    Carl

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. candrews999

candrews999 Fish Fanatic

Well I'll come here for advice again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. nighthawk723

nighthawk723 New Member

I'm currently fishless cycling a 60 gallon tank with sand substrate and about 30% live plants.heat is at 80 degrees with filter running 24hours. I'm using fish flakes for ammonia ( no stores sells pure ammonia around me), and was wondering if I can speed it up by using python bio support which is a bacteria in a bottle. I don't now anyone that can seed my tank. I've gotten up to 3ppm for ammonia and its been a week. The tank looks yellow with all the bacteria blooming so it's working so far...

8. LeeMew

LeeMew New Member

Hello - I'm relatively new to the fishkeeping hobby, and I'm intending on getting a Marina S15 HOB filter. I have been told by some that it's able to filter fine from the get-go, no cycling needed. That seems a little strange to me as the filter would have no beneficial bacteria in it. How would one go about cycling a tank with this filter? In the usual way?

9. eaglesaquarium

No filter comes pre-cycled. They all need to go through a process.

Yes, this filter, as with any other should be done the same way.

A filter can be 'cloned' if there is a tank with existing filter media and then the existing media can be used to either greatly reduce the process or to instantly cycle the tank. That depends on the bioload in the tank the old media is taken from, how much the intended bioload will be of the new tank, and the amount of media taken.

10. Lenka

Lenka New Member

Hi,

I’m in week 5 of my fishless cycle. I used ammonia to start. I initially used API QuickStart but after some reading I did a week of the seachem stability about 3 weeks ago to help. My readings at the moment are nitrite .25ppm, nitrate .20ppm and ammonia 0ppm.

Question I have, is am i getting close to the end? And should I be adding in ammonia at this stage?

Thanks

11. eaglesaquarium