Ask Questions About Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So I did a 50% water change yesterday to reduce the Nitrite levels down. I did a reading an hour later and the tank still read 5ppm on Nitrate, I waited a full 36 hours before testing again and my readings are, ammonia is 0.25ppm and Nitrite is 0.25ppm tonight.

Going to add another full dose to 3ppm and see what tomorrow's readings are.

Will keep you posted.

I am doing a fishless cycle,  I am going away for a few weeks in December so I am just going to leave it on til January.

I was wondering if this would provide the ammonia etc I need... http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-treatments-fish-medicines/marine-fish-treatments-conditioners-and-medicines/marine-aquarium-conditioners/api-quick-start-30ml.html    its a price I approve of

Thanks

edit:

nevermind, I guess I need this one  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kleen-Off-500ml-Ammonia/dp/B00755MEMA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1414446099&sr=8-6&keywords=aquarium+ammonia

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I got the cycle started today  added 1.52 ml of ammonia as suggested.

I have 2 quick questions:

Is it true that a cycle done by adding ammonia will kill plants if you add them during the cycle?  also, will the cycle have any impact on the ph of the water in the tank?

Re: Plants and cycling - 

It is true that excess ammonia CAN kill plants.  However, the amount we are dosing ~3ppm is not so much that it will kill most plants.  The more sensitive plants may suffer.  

if you have a lot of plants, then you may want to alter the cycle slightly.  Consider dosing only to 1ppm and measure after 24 hours to see how much ammonia the plants are actually using (plants will take ammonia directly from the water column).  If it removes all the ammonia, you can boost it to 2ppm the next day.  And see how long it takes to return to zero.  A lot of plants being added at once can allow you to 'cycle the tank' without actually performing a classic fishless cycle.

So, I guess the big question is this: How many plants do you have and of what type?

Re: the cycle and pH - 

Yes, the cycle can affect the pH of the tank during the process.  Ultimately, the bacteria require carbon (inorganic) which is generally measured by the kH scale of the tank.  The role of the kH is also that it will buffer the water and keep the pH more static.  As the cycle continues, ammonia becomes nitrite, and eventually to nitrate (nitric acid) and that will lower the pH (once the amount reaches a certain level such that it will overwhelm the remaining carbonate's buffering capacity).  This is referred to as a 'pH crash' and will stall the cycle.  The good news is that to correct the issue, all one has to do is a large water change.

This is not a concern (usually) after the cycle is completed, because the routine water changes required for proper husbandry will eliminate that from being possible.

No plants yet that's why I was asking, before I ordered some,   My PH is a little high, only a point or two, so if that went down a little it wouldn't be an issue at all.  Thanks for a great awnser!  

What do you mean the pH is a little high?  What is it?

That's not 'high' at all.  You could have just about any fish you wanted to keep in that pH.  :good:

Thanks for that!

So I put in ammonia 3 days ago  its reading 0.25 ammionia and 0 nitrite,  does that mean I can add dose 2? Even though the nitire is  not over 0.2? Or do I just wait ?

I assume I just let it do its thing, but the ammonia dropped lower than I expected so thought I would ask

I've completed the cycle but I won't be adding for for another two weeks. (tank isn't quire ready).

Should I keep adding the full dose of ammonia every day (?) to prevent the bacteria starving?

Phosphates have remained at 0.5 for the past 3 weeks (using dried live rock). Nitrate is around 25. (all salifert tests) No light, two powerheads in brute bin. (80L)

No- add about 1-2 ppm every 2 -3 days. The bacteria will not starve, they do not need ammonia every day to be fine.

Why are you using live rock in a fw tank? aside from the fact that Ammonia oxidizing bacteria are not the same in sw and fw, it seems to me, as a non sw person, that dead live rock means it has organics that will be breaking down and creating ammonia?

TwoTankAmin said:
No- add about 1-2 ppm every 2 -3 days. The bacteria will not starve, they do not need ammonia every day to be fine.

Why are you using live rock in a fw tank? aside from the fact that Ammonia oxidizing bacteria are not the same in sw and fw, it seems to me, as a non sw person, that dead live rock means it has organics that will be breaking down and creating ammonia?

Ok I will do that. It's a saltwater tank. The rock was very clean when I bought it - dead organics were completely gone within two weeks and they didn't produce much ammonia.

My ammonia is reading about .75ppm and my nitrite is reading about 1.0ppm. Im on day 4. Should i add more ammonia to get me back to 3ppm?

I would not.  Let it reach zero.

OK I'm doing my 1st fishless cycle & using the full API test kit for the 1st time - I'm on day 3 with a 75 gallon tank using Dr. Tim's one & only, & before adding more ammonia (1 drop per gal. according to instructions with the Tim's ammonia) the test results were:

ph 7.6
ammonia 1.0
nitrite 0.25
nitrate 0

Does this look right so far? The ammonia reading was 2.0 yesterday, & I put some in the day before that (1st day).

Most reactions

trending

Back