Are These Too Many Fish For 28L Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Maisy,

Please get your existing tank up and running first, before buying any more fish.

You have another thread running where you are concerned about ammonia levels etc, and are receiving excellent advice in that thread.

Again good stocking advice on this thread, I know it's frustrating and you've caught the bug, but a bit of patience will give you happier fish and a much greater understanding of the chemistry behind the hobby.

The sales staff at PAH are just that, employed to SELL you things, bottled bacteria, amonia unlocker, fish that you don't need, all with a friendly smile because they want you to come back!!

Good luck with whatever fish you choose, but lets get the 28ltr, cycled and running right, then think about a bigger tank and more fish!!

I would leave it at that, maybe get a african dwarf frog for something stange :shifty:
I had 2 frogs in a tank this size, and it wasn't a good idea.
They are very messy, and water quality was always an issue. It was a struggle to keep decent parameters.

Hi all ,i`ve gone three days with 50 percent water changes and testing the water, my water is now nearly clear and ammonia levels are at 0,and all other tests are fine.As i`m now looking for 48l tank and cabinet,although i`ve only had this one for 2 weeks ,i`ve decided to go ahead and add 1 more cory one week ,2 shrimp one week and not sure about making the glowlight tetra up from 4 to 6 last week ,but i`m geting all these whilst looking for new tank.
All help has been appreciated,so not ignoring your advice.
Does anybody know what could be making my water cloudy though ,and how long do i do these water changes for ,i`m cleaning the gravel daily as well as advised ,and one last thing ,have had tank for nearly 3 weeks ,when do i clean my filter was advised after a month ,is this true?

Just to add i`ve no intention of adding frogs,yuk! :crazy:

Your ammonia level is 0 because you have been doing water changes, if you stop doing water changes, its going to go up again.

keep testing for ammonia with the test kit, if any registers, do a water change, if none, leave it.

This could go on for weeks, your filter is not cycled.

You do not need to clean your filter until your tank is cycled and even then i would leave it a few weeks.

Thanks Tizer ,so i need to do daily 50 percent water changes as well as cleaning the gravel ,and when will i know when my tank is cycled? Thanks for all you help?

Hi all ,i`ve gone three days with 50 percent water changes and testing the water, my water is now nearly clear and ammonia levels are at 0,and all other tests are fine.As i`m now looking for 48l tank and cabinet,although i`ve only had this one for 2 weeks ,i`ve decided to go ahead and add 1 more cory one week ,2 shrimp one week and not sure about making the glowlight tetra up from 4 to 6 last week ,but i`m geting all these whilst looking for new tank.
All help has been appreciated,so not ignoring your advice.
Does anybody know what could be making my water cloudy though ,and how long do i do these water changes for ,i`m cleaning the gravel daily as well as advised ,and one last thing ,have had tank for nearly 3 weeks ,when do i clean my filter was advised after a month ,is this true?

Just to add i`ve no intention of adding frogs,yuk! :crazy:

Hi maisy12345,
I started off with a Fluval Edge which is 23 litres and had loads of ammonia problems in the beginning. Cycling a small tank is difficult, especially when you have as many fish as you do, however if you're really careful and keep ontop of things I wouldnt say you have to take your fish back. Although I would say that from advice given to me on here about keeping Cory's, 28 litre's is probably too small.

I started my tank with one betta and everyhting was fine. However after I added guppies and platy's to this I ran into trouble =\.

I wouldn't advise you to clean your filter media anytime soon as it is only just beginning to acquire the beneficial bacteria it needs to cycle the ammonia. I'd wait until everything has settled and only swill out of the media to keep as much of the bacteria in as possible.

Hope this helps =]
Amy xx

Thanks Amy,just don`t understand when to stop doing 50 percent water changes,have done them for three days ,the water is still slightly cloudy,but the ammonia level is 0,so do i still do it tonight,andstill clean the gravel ,and when will i know if my tanks cycled?

only do a water change if your getting an Ammonia reading, the cloudyness will be the bacteria bloom, all new tanks get this it clears up soon enough.

Keep testing Daily (maybe twice daily) if you get any ammonia do a water change :good: do not clean your filter

Thanks lilfishie,so if the ammonia stays at 0 i can introduce my 2 shrimps?

If you get 0 ammonia readings and 0 nitrite readings every day for a week, then yes, adding some shrimp will be ok.

There is no magic number for how long it takes. It takes as long as it takes. The way you know your tank is cycled is when you get 0 ammonia and nitrite readings every day for a week - that means the filter is processing the substances produced by the fish.

If it's 0 now, then leave it until the morning. You dont need to change it if there is no ammonia or nitrite. Test again in the morning, if there is ammonia/nitrite then change the water. Then leave it another 24 hours. Test again, if there's 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite then give it another 24 hours and test again. But if there is a hint of either then you do a water change to remove it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back