Are These Cory Eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have Cory's, flame tetras, and pearl gouramis. I am thinking these are Cory eggs. They are on the glass and a few plants that I can see. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20160531_185955270.jpg
    IMG_20160531_185955270.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20160531_185853080_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160531_185853080_HDR.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 134
Thank you! How interesting. I wonder if any will survive.

Most definitely cory eggs.  Chances are that any of the eggs that you can see as easily as the ones in your picture will be gobbled up at some point by any of the fish in the tank.  If there are more hidden better, then they have a chance at survival to the point of hatching (about 3-4 days).   Then if there is sufficient cover in the tank, then you have a chance at getting a few of those that hatch to eventually survive to adulthood.  

Eagles is right ... my panda's have got good at hiding eggs amongst my java fern and I'm getting fry turning up month after month now. If they lay eggs in open places the tetra's will take care of them ... there's nothing tetra's like more than eggs to eat.

You could remove the leaves that have eggs on them and place them in a plastic tub with some tank water and an air stone and see if they hatch. Once they do, they'll need something to eat after about 3 days and java moss is one of the best sources of microscopic food for the first 3 or 4 weeks. After that you can start adding some soft cory pellets. By then they'll be big enough to go in a breeding net if you don't have space for a seperate tank to raise them in

Few if any have been eaten so far. I thought I would wake up this morning and find them gone. Then I figured I would come home from work today and find them gone, but they're still there so far. Most of the ones on the glass are gone except for a residual ring, but the ones on the leaves are escaping notice so far. But, they have a few days to go before they hatch I suppose, so we'll see what happens.
If I had another suitable tank or anywhere else to put the babies, I would consider trying to raise them separately, but I don't know anyone who has a tank, especially one with sand rather than gravel. I would be afraid to raise them and then have no home for them.
I will be pleased though if some do survive. :)
I'm surprised that the ones that are just piled up on the pennywort leaf haven't been eaten yet. They even look like they're on a little plate!

yeah, I didn't think it would be long and when they've eaten them once they will spot them faster the next time around

I'm both a little relieved and disappointed. I really don't have anywhere to put new babies, but they would have been awfully cute.

very very cute ... but raising them can be a blessing and a curse. They can be hard work. I'd manage to raise 5 panda cories and most were ready to leave me and go to the lfs ... I came into the room on Thursday morning to find the largest one dead. No warning and no apparent reason. 

I decided on Thursday afternoon to bag up the remaining four and take them to the lfs. I couldn't face waking up to any more dead babies

Ugh! One of life's mysteries and not the good kind. At least you got four little critters safely off into the world.

there's also three hybrid cories that I raised that are living in my Dad's tank. I also have some newly hatched one's - there was 6 that hatched but so far I'm only seeing one daily .... I don't know if it's the same one or a different one. It's too early to tell how many have survived. Cory breeding isn't easy 

I found a baby Cory in my HOB filter today. I have heard about this happening with canister filters, but never realized they could get into a HOB filter. Cute little critter. It kind of freaks me out to think that it was living in the dark filter eating scum. I suppose the upside is that this is probably how it survived long enough to not be eaten, but it still seems depressing. I will DEFINITELY be checking the inside of the filter with a flashlight from now on.

I did end up seeing the peppered cories mating, so I figured out that the eggs belonged to them. There was more than just the one batch as well. I wonder which batch this baby is from.

it's difficult to say which batch as I've found they all develop at a different rate. The four I currently have ready to go to the lfs this morning are all from the same batch of eggs but they are all slightly different in size. One is always much bigger for some reason. From what I've seen visually one always seems to be 'the boss' ... that is the first one to come out of hiding ... the first to come out to find food when it's been added. 

I hope the little guy can survive now that he's out with everyone else and not in the filter. He is too large to eat but I worry whether he'll come out to eat. I suppose I'm worrying over nothing though. He's not going to let himself starve, right?

I found him when I dumped the water in the filter into the bathtub. My filter had broken so I was getting the water out and out plopped this little squiggling thing. I was in shock for a second but I scooped it up as gently and quickly as possible, screaming to the kids, "Baby Cory! Baby Cory!" I dashed with the little fellow into my room and put him into the tank. He shot under a piece of driftwood and out of sight just as the kids came running in. Luckily, we all saw him later in the evening when much was made over the cute tiny baby whiskers. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back