Are these Angelfish eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kempie7

Reaction score
Hello All!
We recently adopted 3 angels from a terrible home and they are blooming with us. They are older- about 5-6 years old- they used to eat once every 3 days, never had light or tank mates and just one piece of drift wood in a 90 gal tank. We took them in and since they all close together in their 90 we got them into something a little cozier- a 29 gal! They are doing great and we have had them about 6 months. They are more active, have more personality and take to food readily and happily. I was having a hard time sexing them in the beginning, but recently the larger and smaller calico have been ā€œkissingā€ and it seems as if they were pairing off or fighting for the silver male. Maybe one is male, but Iā€™m not sure. Anyways, they have a nice little cory group that lay eggs and swim on the bottom and only three small fish that they barely seem to notice. Today I came home and noticed the filter tube was completely covered in these small little eggs that looked like cory eggs. But these were in massive quantities and my corys just laid eggs last water change. I think these are angel eggs cause the large cailico is super protective over them and keeps fanning them. We are looking into removing the tube and keeping the filter pad in a new filter so their bacteria isnā€™t interrupted. We have a spare 10 gal we could put it in with an airstone and heater. If anyone has ANY tips or ideas as to what eggs these are and how to best handle this please let me know! We would love to save these little eggs! Thank you for your time.
The picture will not upload due to the image being too large. Not sure how to go about posting a picture.

can't really say when you have no pictures,

but it sounds like angelfish have laid eggs, angelfish normally lay eggs on a vertical surface like that, i have bred angelfish for many years, and its not uncommon for them to lay eggs on filter inlet tubes, or sometimes even on vertical heaters,

i normally use a piece of PVC pipe standing up vertically in my tanks, they love that,

and when angelfish start aggressively "kissing" that is a sign they are ready to spawn,

A 29 gallon is a bit small for three adult angels and a school of corydora. Even if you managed to put the fry in a spare ten gallon, what are you going to do if they hatch? You need to think for the long term here. That many fry are going to need a large tank, larger than a 29, in order for you to raise them properly, What will you do with them when they are big enough? Sell them? Keep them? Give them away? Do you know how you'll achieve any of this?

Your best bet, since you seem not to be equipped to handle fry at this time, is to scrape the eggs off and toss them. Your angels, if they are a mated pair, will lay eggs often and this will need to be done repeatedly. The family owned fish store I shop at in town keep pleco's with breeding pairs to take care of the eggs, but your 29 gallon is overstocked as it is and won't be able to handle the bio-load of even a small species pleco.

never had light or tank mates and just one piece of drift wood in a 90 gal tank
While they needed some plants, It sounds like the ideal set up, I would have created a Vals or Swords jungle.
A breeding pair of Angels do not want tank mates especially other Angels, The breeding pair will claim the whole tank as their territory and will fight intruders to the death.

Fish dont need or care for bright lights, Humans do.

A 29 gallon is a bit small for three adult angels and a school of corydora. Even if you managed to put the fry in a spare ten gallon, what are you going to do if they hatch? You need to think for the long term here. That many fry are going to need a large tank, larger than a 29, in order for you to raise them properly, What will you do with them when they are big enough? Sell them? Keep them? Give them away? Do you know how you'll achieve any of this?

Your best bet, since you seem not to be equipped to handle fry at this time, is to scrape the eggs off and toss them. Your angels, if they are a mated pair, will lay eggs often and this will need to be done repeatedly. The family owned fish store I shop at in town keep pleco's with breeding pairs to take care of the eggs, but your 29 gallon is overstocked as it is and won't be able to handle the bio-load of even a small species pleco.
Yes we are planning on selling the fry if they hatch. I didnā€™t want the angels to die since they were beautiful so we took them in. The tank is not overstocked and it is very healthy. I thought all three angels were female and we have a 55 in storage that we were considering setting up just to move the lonesome angel out and into a more populated community. I have been fish keeping for a while, but these were rescues so it all happened so quickly. Thanks anyways.

While they needed some plants, It sounds like the ideal set up, I would have created a Vals or Swords jungle.
A breeding pair of Angels do not want tank mates especially other Angels, The breeding pair will claim the whole tank as their territory and will fight intruders to the death.

Fish dont need or care for bright lights, Humans do.
We have some swords, slate and others plants and we are looking to rescape to include more plants. They love the swords and often swim through them! Itā€™s beautiful.

can't really say when you have no pictures,

but it sounds like angelfish have laid eggs, angelfish normally lay eggs on a vertical surface like that, i have bred angelfish for many years, and its not uncommon for them to lay eggs on filter inlet tubes, or sometimes even on vertical heaters,

i normally use a piece of PVC pipe standing up vertically in my tanks, they love that,

and when angelfish start aggressively "kissing" that is a sign they are ready to spawn,
So should I remove the other angel and rehome him and let my pair stay happy and together?

We have some swords, slate and others plants and we are looking to rescape to include more plants. They love the swords and often swim through them! Itā€™s beautiful.

Indeed Angels prefer tall thin leaf plants like swords that they can swim between.

I thought all three angels were female

all 3 of them COULD BE female,

its actually not uncommon for 2 female angelfish to "mate", the eggs will just be unfertilized and die, but the females will still protect them the same way they normally would with a male,

in my experience breeding angelfish, if the breeding pair are not in their own seperate tank and they have other tank mates (angelfish or not) the eggs will never get to the point of hatching, the other fish will always eat them, or the parents will eat them before they hatch,

if you want to breed angelfish and raise the fry, a dedicated tank to the breeding pair is an absolute MUST!

i had about 12 adult angels in a 100 gallon tank, when 2 of them "paired off" and looked like they were going to do their thing, i would remove those two from the 100 gallon and put then in a 35 gallon tank by themselves.....

i would wait until they laid the eggs, and when they were done "doing their thing" i would remove them from the 35 gallon and put them back in the 100 gallon, then raise the fry in the 35 gallon......this way the eggs are never disturbed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back