Are There Any Acceptable Levels Of Ammonia?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shabba82

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm having issues as stated in my previous message, but after a 90% water change, my ammonia in my tank is 1-2ppm. My tap water ammonia is 0ppm. I know ammonia is not good, but is there an acceptable level of Ammonia?

Hm, there is not really any acceptable levels of ammonia to have in the tank with fish long term, though 0.25 ppm can be tolerated for some time I believe.

If you have readings of 1 - 2ppm, then you must something off kilter.

Have you recenty cleaned the filter or the tank, even changed the substrate?

Also what test kit are you using, i ask this as the paper strip kit can be very innacurate. The liquid based kits are more accurate PROVIDED the test is carried out correctly.

I use the the api master kit.
If you can take 5 mins to read my earlier message, I'd really appreciate it. Then u might be able to assist me further. I've been chatting Gmc1, so I kinda know of some of the reasons.

Shabba82 said:
I use the the api master kit.
If you can take 5 mins to read my earlier message, I'd really appreciate it. Then u might be able to assist me further. I've been chatting Gmc1, so I kinda know of some of the reasons.

I am not sure of any earlier messages unfortunately.

Do you mean you have another post / thread about this issue somewhere?

EDIT : AH found it, sorry, did not realise.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/441540-problems-with-ammonia/

That one
wink.png

Yeah, soz didn't realise u commented earlier.

Charlie I know him from work so was dm him.should be on here to save any confusion.the tank was originally cycled but he mistakenly replaced filter media with brand new media so tank has started at beginning again.I have already been on his case at work with stocking lol.

gmc1 said:
Charlie I know him from work so was dm him.should be on here to save any confusion.the tank was originally cycled but he mistakenly replaced filter media with brand new media so tank has started at beginning again.I have already been on his case at work with stocking lol.

Ah, that explains a lot.

Thanks for clearing that up.

back to the question: Are there any acceptable levels of Ammonia - in short no ... but ... if you have soft acidic water with a low pH (below 7) it normally presents as Ammonium. Ammonium is far less toxic than Ammonia. In these cases there's no real need to panic if you get a low reading for Ammonia ... that does not mean you ignore it but there is no need to get into a spin as the fish are likely to be unaffected. 

The ammonia was at 8 earlier today.hes lost six fish.

yes I read that gmc ... even if it is presenting as ammonium that would still harm the fish being that high ... I did clarify this on the other post and I was presuming he has read that first.

What I was meaning with my post is low levels - which I clearly stated 'low levels' in my post

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back