Are my guppies ready to give birth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlahey

Reaction score
HELP!!

Trying to figure out if my 2 guppies which i moved to a 10 gallon tank are ready to give birth. I have 2 pics but can not get them attached! Help!!

You need a picture host online to submit pictures. I use Photobucket to upload pictures, it's free and you can upload quite a few pictures. For a quick reference here's a picture of my female guppy 2 hrs before she had her babies:
Ripley.jpg

It would be a great help if you could post a pic but i'm not sure how to do that myself. Maybe someone else can help you out with that. In the mean time, study your guppy behaviour. Has she been acting differently lately, for example she is normally lively but now she is lazy or maybe she is hiding away when she is normaly swimming about. Take a look at her belly, best from the front or behind and if it looks 'boxy' or 'squarish' then it wont be long before she has them. Possibly in just a few days. Lastly look at her gravid spot and see if you can see small dots in it. If you can then these are the eyes or the fry and again this is a sign that she will drop soon. Try not to move her anymore now that she is settled as this can stress her out and cause her to abort her pregnancy or the babies will be born with defects.

Ok I think I can post my 2 pic now.....I'll Give it a try. Please make an estimate for me!!

Thanks

114_1441.jpg

114_1437.jpg

Can someone give me an idea when these 2 guppies will be ready to have their fry?? Pictures are the large 2 above!!

not really that big, id say maybe two or so weeks.

I agree with Wrs in about a week....sometimes they don't have to be very big to give birth

1whostrated.jpg

She's not big at all and had 12 babies (still have 9 or 10) before she died

flll1.jpg

Heres a 3year old female and a 7month old female (both dead )
The big one had fry that night....

Hope this helped
Erin :)

hey im facing the same problem if you can get me a better picture maybe i could help u while u help me. my fish is pregnant to but i dont know when shell give birth. the "gravid spot" under her tail should become very big and thats about all i know. sorry im not of more help.

None of my gups ever showed any signs before giving birth, mine still eat swim with the others, acts normal. The way I can tell she is ready anyday, is her stomach will be very large around her neck, then u will see where she is getting bigger near the anal fin, like the fry is moving toward the back, and he poop hole will look swollen a bit...when I see that my guppys looks like that have a square stomach from behind then know it 24 hours max before birth.

Can u check these pics to verify a2 pregnant guppies????????

MCL

114_1470.jpg

114_1468.jpg

those are definetly pregnate, id say theyll have theyre fry very soon....

dont keep babie guppies in an undergravel filter :p they get stuck under the gravel and u gotta fish em out when u clean the tank... yes know this from experience... had fancy tails lol ended up with over 30 some odd in a 10 gal lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back