Are Crowntails More Aggressive Than Regular Veiltails?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

serbusfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At my local store they have cups with regular veiltails with a note that says 'can be kept with small fish such as neons or white cloud minnows'. However below these are cups with crowntails and the note says 'Crowntail Fighters, DO NOT KEEP WITH OTHER FISH!'. Are crowntails more aggressive than veiltails?

People think they are but it's not always true.

i have a crowntail and he is agressive, he even attacked and ate fully grown huge ammano shrimp

Hmmm fair enough, I always thought their tail style was the only thing that made them different from regular bettas, I guess not
smile.png

Never heard that. My crowntail is docile as anything, much more then my halfmoon. I really dont believe it..... It just doesn't make any sense. Its the same fish, just a different tail type. I wouldn't let it deter you.

They aren't any more aggressive in my experience.

All betta can be and I've heard plenty of stories about betta going after shrimp and microfish and of course fry but I do not consider crowntails to be anymore aggressive than halfmoons or veil tail.

Am I wrong is saying crowntails are still just B. splendens and should therefore have the same behavioral traits?

Nope, you are not. Crowntail(CT) Betta's are Betta Splendens and therefore should have the same level of aggression. People seem to think that CT's are more aggressive than even Plakat(PK) Betta's :/ If anything I'd think that a PK would be more aggressive as they are the closest relation to a wild Betta Splendens. Really, us breeding and breeding and breeding them has tamed them down a lot.

Questions? said:
it all depends on your bettas personality
yep i think so too, they have such different personalities its probably just a coincidence mines a little so and so, which i found out at the cost of all 6 amanos :(

There really is no corralation between tail shape and aggressiveness.  All the tail types are B. Splendens so the aggressiveness is all in relation to the specific betta's personality.  I do not believe that they should be advertising that the VT can be housed with other fish just because that is not always true.  I also think that CT may look more aggressive to some people because of the way their fins do compared to the VT whose fins mainly flow which makes them seem more calm. 

If anything I'd think that a PK would be more aggressive as they are the closest relation to a wild Betta Splendens

In all actuality wild B. Splendens are not that aggressive.  Most wild species of betta can easily live in a community setting both with other species of fish and others of their own species.  Any of the domesticated B. Splendens or crossings with B. Splendens are the ones that have the aggressive nature.  PK like the Superman and #5 PK are normally the ones that are reported to be the most aggressive but I personally have no idea if they are really anymore aggressive than a normal PK or even a VT.

Wildbetta said:
There really is no corralation between tail shape and aggressiveness.  All the tail types are B. Splendens so the aggressiveness is all in relation to the specific betta's personality.  I do not believe that they should be advertising that the VT can be housed with other fish just because that is not always true.  I also think that CT may look more aggressive to some people because of the way their fins do compared to the VT whose fins mainly flow which makes them seem more calm. 

If anything I'd think that a PK would be more aggressive as they are the closest relation to a wild Betta Splendens

In all actuality wild B. Splendens are not that aggressive.  Most wild species of betta can easily live in a community setting both with other species of fish and others of their own species.  Any of the domesticated B. Splendens or crossings with B. Splendens are the ones that have the aggressive nature.  PK like the Superman and #5 PK are normally the ones that are reported to be the most aggressive but I personally have no idea if they are really anymore aggressive than a normal PK or even a VT.

Ah, I get you now. I was sort of going off experience as I've had a PK female and a CT female and the PK was more aggressive despite being smaller :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back