Are Angle Fish Semi-agressive

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

howie91

Reaction score
Right,

In my tank I have Neon tetras, Lemon tip tetras, angle fish, plec, cory and guppies.

I have just found one of my guppies floating around dead in my tank, with all of its tail taken off. And i am thinking that it would have been my angle fish, as two of them are adult sized, and my tank has fairly young fish in it.

That is two of my guppies to go with in the space of 24hrs, although the other guppy had given birth to some fry, and then she started to get big again really round. and i found her at the bottom of the tank.

Please help, thanks...

If the neons and guppies didn't grow up with the angels then you can be pretty sure the angels think you are -feeding- them and they are probably delighted with their new live food :hyper:

Schools of neons are the natural food for angelfish in the wild. Someone posted an amazing youtube video a while back of one of the large spiral schools of neons but I can't find it now to link up. It's sort of a sad day when your adult angelfish reach this size and make it hard to have the smaller community fish that were fine when the angels were smaller.

~~waterdrop~~

as said above, angels like to snack and are most likely your COD

Some are acute some are obtuse and some are just right.

:lol: meany!!!

Right,

In my tank I have Neon tetras, Lemon tip tetras, angle fish, plec, cory and guppies.

I have just found one of my guppies floating around dead in my tank, with all of its tail taken off. And i am thinking that it would have been my angle fish, as two of them are adult sized, and my tank has fairly young fish in it.

That is two of my guppies to go with in the space of 24hrs, although the other guppy had given birth to some fry, and then she started to get big again really round. and i found her at the bottom of the tank.

Please help, thanks...

Hi there howie, just for the record it's angel fish, not angle fish. :D

i agree with the above, good chance your angels have decided they were feeling a bit peckish, they are a cichlid and some of them can be very agressive indeed. If you've had a problem now then don't expect it to stop, it'll just get worse so I would suggest you take the angelfish back to the store.

That being said I'm slightly concerned by your description of the guppy giving birth then getting really round again. Do a google image search for 'fish dopsy' and see if that's what she looked like. It could be a sign of a bacterial disease or something like that rather than agression.

Do you have a test kit? If so can you test the water in your tank for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and let us know what the results are?

Thanks

Some are acute some are obtuse and some are just right.

:lol: meany!!!

Right,

Please help, thanks...

Hi there howie, just for the record it's angel fish, not angle fish. :D

i agree with the above, good chance your angels have decided they were feeling a bit peckish, they are a cichlid and some of them can be very agressive indeed. If you've had a problem now then don't expect it to stop, it'll just get worse so I would suggest you take the angelfish back to the store.

That being said I'm slightly concerned by your description of the guppy giving birth then getting really round again. Do a google image search for 'fish dopsy' and see if that's what she looked like. It could be a sign of a bacterial disease or something like that rather than agression.

Do you have a test kit? If so can you test the water in your tank for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and let us know what the results are?

Thanks

well, Thats my spaco coming in. i could never really spell to save my life. Well, to be fair I was working really late that night, and forgot to feed them that day...

as for the "fish dopsy" she did indeed look like that. But it might also be due to stress, as she was in the breeding net rather often. However, i shall go out and get a testing kit. To be fair, i don't think it helps that they where from Pets at home.

yes you're probably right, in and out of the breeding net and from poor quality stock is not giving the fish the best possible chance.

make sure you get a liquid based test kit not paper strips as they're horribly inaccurate. i recommend the api fresh water master test kit, the nutrafin mini master test kit is also decent. if you can't find them in the shops then you can get them from ebay for about £20 all the time. :good:

might be an idea to take a sample of the water to the fish shop for testing in case they don't sell good test kits. Don't let them sell you any rubbish (particularly if ypu're going back to PAH, they are recknowned for it). Just write down what the numbers are for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and then post them up here and we'll let you know what to do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back