Aquasoil (Maidenhead Aquatics) - any experience? My fish have all died.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

flix_cw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a new 620T 130L tank and 5 days ago moved all my plants, fish and established Eheim 2213 filter across to it from my old 56L tank.

I decided to have a base of Aquasoil from Maidenhead Aquatics https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aquasoil capped by my old gravel to benefit plant growth. After 3 days my fish started to die. Despite daily 50% water changes, all the fish are now dead. I'm pretty gutted, and also really quite confused;

I have an API Master test kit and all readings are all regularly within normal ranges:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
pH - 7.4.

My only concern is that on dipstick test, both GH & KH are very high... may this be something to do with it?

I know anything i do now is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted - but any thoughts on what i should do now would be much appreciated. Should i continue water changes and eventually the soil will stop leeching, or shall i strip the whole thing and start again?

I can't really understand situation but did you rinse the gravel with coldwater after you got it out from the old tank?

Aquasoil leaches ammonia
So I would keep up WC's two times a week fifty percent. fifty percent a day is a lot but if its working keep doing that.
Basically this comment was pointless lol

From what I can find in that link, this is not a "substrate" for an aquarium. It is meant as soil for a garden pond.

I would suspect it may leech several things that could kill fish in an aquarium; the much more confined space and water volume in an aquarium can amplify toxins considerably.

You don't give the numbers for GH/KH (before and after to compare) but if this was significant in a short timeframe it could shock fish seriously.

Sorry, but you should remove this aquasoil completely, thoroughly was the aquarium gravel, and reset the tank.

Byron.

It says its "compost" so it will IMO have a negative effect

I have an API Master test kit and all readings are all regularly within normal ranges:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
pH - 7.4.

potting soils are sometimes fertilized. dry ground plants can withstand very high levels of nutrients. Sometimes you will detect ammonia. but is the fertilizer added to it contains ammonia sulfate or ammonia nitrate your test kit may not detect it. High levels of potassium and copper and lime may also be present and that might explain your high GH and KH values. Most of these fertilizers will easily dissolve in aquarium water, and your basic aquarium test kit wouldn't detect most of them.

you have two choices, cycle water frequently and try again. However is no way of knowing when the soil is safe for fish . The second option is to remove it and start over with a different substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back