Aquascaping ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My tank has been running for about a week now. I've transferred one of my filter sponges from my other established tank and have been dosing seachem stability.

I was wondering if people can give me ideas what to put in the tank. I'm thinking of getting bog wood with java fern attached to it to put behind the red Moor. Might also get more valisneria to put on the left side to cover the intake pipe. I'm wanting to go for a natural look.

http://imgur.com/J6d2jom

That is a good start, with that lovely branch. I would move the branch and rockwork to the right, so the top of the right piece of branch is touching the right end wall. You can try it to see if having the tip touch the tank wall behind mid-point or in front of mid-point is better. Off-centre is always better because it increases the perception of space.

As for the left side to cover the heater and filter from view, the best thing is a fairly straight longish piece of bogwood. These can visually represent standing tree trunks, reaching close or to the surface. Water will still get around them easily, but the equipment is hidden from view. Java Fern attached to such a piece of wood works very well because this plant withstands more water current and shade.

That is a good start, with that lovely branch. I would move the branch and rockwork to the right, so the top of the right piece of branch is touching the right end wall. You can try it to see if having the tip touch the tank wall behind mid-point or in front of mid-point is better. Off-centre is always better because it increases the perception of space.

As for the left side to cover the heater and filter from view, the best thing is a fairly straight longish piece of bogwood. These can visually represent standing tree trunks, reaching close or to the surface. Water will still get around them easily, but the equipment is hidden from view. Java Fern attached to such a piece of wood works very well because this plant withstands more water current and shade.

Thanks Byron, and I thought my aquascaping imagination was terrible :lol:

I might see moving it to the right. You can see a rock behind the wood which I put there as it was floating to the top when I placed it in. Because of that I wasn't free on how I'd place it. That's a good idea with the bogwood but I'd need a long piece and I'd worry about it falling over. I'd need some help on easy plant choices which I could put on the right side.

My java moss is all over the place. It doesn't have that full "Christmas tree" like look, it's just really stringy and can be a nasty brown colour to a bright green.

I think my Otos have eaten some of it.

For easy plants I recommend looking on Tropica's website. They rank their plants from easy to hard. Easy requiring basic lighting and no CO2, hard requiring regular CO2 and top notch lighting as well as regular pruning.

Java fern, java moss and anubias are all go to easy plants that can do well in low light and have no CO2 requirements.

If your tank is settled then cryptocoryne are a great plant. They are slow growing and again have little requirement for lighting or CO2. Just plant them and leave them to it.

There are loads of different crypts and they can make good foreground and midground plants. Crypt wendtii is an interesting olive green colour and it adds contrast to the other bright green plants in the tank. Crypts will 'melt when first added. Their leaves will die back and new ones will sprout. It's nothing to panic about, it's because they have gone from being in water or packaging at the store to a new tank so they have to get used to the new tank.

I would avoid altenanthera plants, they are the red coloured ones and have a high demand for iron. Mine just wilted away

Seeing as you are in the UK then check out www.aquaessentials.co.uk for your aquascape. I'm not shilling for them, honest!

They have 'scared for you' selection. Just look at your tank size and difficulty level and pick something you like.

They give you a planting diagram and guide. The designs are inspired by pro aquascapers. I recommend to at least have a look.

Seeing as you are in the UK then check out www.aquaessentials.co.uk for your aquascape. I'm not shilling for them, honest!

They have 'scared for you' selection. Just look at your tank size and difficulty level and pick something you like.

They give you a planting diagram and guide. The designs are inspired by pro aquascapers. I recommend to at least have a look.

Thanks TallPaul checked that website out and definitely looks good. The scaped for you section had some nice pieces on there. The wood and rocks in my tank I actually bought from ebay which came as a aquascape set. Might reposition the wood a little to the left and also straighten it so the top branch gets a little more height. I do think in getting more background plants to give a good contrast between the green and the black background.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back