Aquarium Stand Got Wet And Expanded! Urgent..maybe

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LeFondre

Reaction score
So I had a minor spillage. Very minor, but did not think to dry down the aquarium stand and a couple of corners are now 'raised/expanded' and risen above the trim.

The stand is the official Juwel Rekord 800 one for my 110L tank.

Is this seriously dangerous? The tank is already slightly uneven and cardboard splints used to slightly even it up.

Off on holiday soon and worried I will come back to a mess, especially since its on the 2nd floor. 

Thoughts? I've attached a photo.

94d58da1961c90434a4a458120c58161.png

I would not be too concerned, just make sure it is well dried out. As long as the supports/legs are not warped or damaged then I would not be worried.  I have seen people support tanks for years on a base that covers only about 2/3 of the tank
no.gif

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well it seems dry around the rim, but not definate way of telling unless I empty the tank and wipe it down/hairdry it. Worth doing? Seems like a lot of effort.

Don't think my housemates will be too happy if it did fall. Thats a lot of mess...and fire hazard!

It takes quite a lot for that type of bonded wood to become weak.  The surfaces are waterproof to most extents so the best bet is to open the doors and look where all the joins are and see if there is any swelling.  Its the width of the wood, not the length that you need to look for.  I would personally not be worried but please don't hold me to that, ha ha!!

Looking at the pictures again though it really looks like nothing to worry about.

I can't even find out online what kind of wood this is made out of!

I'm worried still, but appreciate the advice 
yes.gif

It's basically chipboard, woodchips bound with glue with a plastic like cover, full of formaldehyde!! Always best to be safe but if theres no swelling in the support wouldn't be worried. Put some downward force on it (slowly) and listen for creaks or noises. The swelling you have seen is more in the surface.

agreed. We call it pressboard. Its not the best thing to make tank stands out of since it commonly expands when it gets wet. A tiny bit of expanding I would not be concerned about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back