Aquarium Is 3 Days Old, Already Dirty Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pioneer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got a 30 gallon that I got all set up, and am going to let run for a week before I start cycling with Bio-Spira. I washed out all the gravel, driftwood, etc. before I set up the tank and the water was pretty clear for the most part. But everyday it's gotten worse. I haven't added fish or fish food. Any ideas why? I want to get the water clear before I start cycling with B-S. I'm using a Tetra Whisper Power 40 filter.

Thanks.

well the water was fairly clear at first. then it got dirtier as the days went on.

Can I do a big water change or just let it be and start cycling with bio-spira?

well the water was fairly clear at first. then it got dirtier as the days went on.

Can I do a big water change or just let it be and start cycling with bio-spira?

i would just start cycling as you going to need to a really do a large change at the end of cycling... and is it same to assume that bio-spira is liquid ammonia?

Bio-spira's one of the semi-reliable bottled bacteria. IME, it's about a 50% chance of being the divine touch of God or a kick in the nuts. Even with it, I'd use liquid ammonia to do a fishless cycle - with luck, the cycle will only last a few days at most, but it's good to be safe.

What color is the cloudiness?

It's brownish.

I probly didn't wash the stuff out well enough. I think I'm gonna do a 90% water change to get it clear, then start cycling tomorrow.

BTW.

I have a 32 gallon tank. In your opinion would this work

5 zebra danios
4 firemouths
4 otto cats

it could be you driftwood boil it for ages or let it soak and then put it back in the tank

but dave shouldn't my filter be cleaning that and making the water clear?

true. well time to take out the old python and do a 90% water change.

BTW, Is 4 firemouths in a 32 gallon tank too much?

I wouldn't go with four firemouths, maybe two - I was advised against four in a 40 gallon, which is the same as a 29 but about five inches taller. I'm not sure, but zebra danios might get eaten, giant danios or the bigger tetras should be safe.

im not to sure about the fish take out the bogwood put it on boil or leave it soaking till the waters clear and do a big water change about 50-60% id say

I have weird tank dimensions. They are 36x12x17. That seems more than 30.

That's about what my 29 is, I think. The 40 I mentioned is 36x12x23 - same as yours, but a bit taller. Because firemouths will claim land for their territory, the tanks are basically identical for them, in terms of how many you can fit.

Edit: Your filter won't really get all the brown tannins from the driftwood out, either. Filter carbon might remove it, but it tends to get saturated within a few days. The tannin is harmless, though. Water changes will remove it, and eventually it'll stop entirely. Boiling, as mentioned, speeds the process.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back