Aquamanta External Filters

soybean

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anybody have any experience with the Aquamanta external filters stocked by Maidenhead Aquatics? I've never seen anybody mention using them. I've been trying to decide between an Eheim 2213 and Fluval 205, then saw these on offer at MA, reasonably priced, and wondered if they were any good.

I've got the efx 400 on a 55g, came with the tank when i first got into fish keeping so can't compare it with others as i've never had any yet :lol:
Apart from that, it's doing the job fine from what i see.

I've got the efx 400 on a 55g, came with the tank when i first got into fish keeping so can't compare it with others as i've never had any yet :lol:
Apart from that, it's doing the job fine from what i see.

Is it noisy at all?

I have the EFX300 and I can say its real quiet.
They have nice deep media trays and are really easy to set up and get running.

Hmm, might give one a chance. I know Eheim and Fluval are reliable etc etc etc but there are a few elements of both that put me off them.

I nearly picked one of these up last weekend just to make the decision and get it over with, but thought I'd check they weren't going to cause me a headache!

I was a little dubious for a start but mine came supplied with my new tank so if it turned out to be bad I still had a Fluval external to fall back on.
Now I think they are great for the money.

They are good filters, had an EFX 200 running and was silent, problem free, took 15 mins to clean slowly and thoroughly.... not a problem.

They are 10 x better than the fluvals and about 10x less likely to need spare parts within the first...well... 5 minutes :p Both eheim and fluval are big names out there but it doesnt mean they are the best by a long way, just means they are popular..

Like goldfish bowls, popular until someone tells you how awful they are!

They are good filters, had an EFX 200 running and was silent, problem free, took 15 mins to clean slowly and thoroughly.... not a problem.

They are 10 x better than the fluvals and about 10x less likely to need spare parts within the first...well... 5 minutes :p Both eheim and fluval are big names out there but it doesnt mean they are the best by a long way, just means they are popular..

Like goldfish bowls, popular until someone tells you how awful they are!

Yeah, out of the two I was leaning towards the Eheim for efficiency, but then swinging back to the Fluval because I like the removable baskets for each media. I take it the EFX has baskets?

All I'm after is something as near to silent as possible (bedroom tank) which is easy to clean and doesn't need messing with too often. I'm not removing the internal from my Juwel either (for now at least) so it doesn't need to have a huge turnover rate, etc.

And do you know what else puts me off Eheim? The green plastic. I know that shouldn't matter, but it does to me!

Tell you what, you are the first person who has said they hate the green!! I do too!!!!!!!

That aside,

Have you seen a Tetratec filter opened up?

They have, (unlike the fluval with 4 upright sponges and then tiny trays) great big trays the size of the filter (no. depends on modal) and come with coarse, fine and micro filter pads plus carbon bag and phosphate pad too for algae :) oops and ceramics too...

The big deep trays mean you can put what you like in the trays!

The EFX 200 was temporarily on my chest of drawers about 2ft from my head when im in bed and tbh, i put my eheim in the bin and got the tetratec and then when it died (was old to be fair) i got an EFX which was the best of the lot. The EFX is made by the same people who made Tetratec and Aqua One filters i think.

Have used a lot of fluval filters and hate them witha passion :p

I have my Zebra plec tank in my Bedroom,Its running an Aqua one Aquis 750 series 2.
Very similar to that filter.
Has seperate media trays,Comes with all pipework,sponge and media.
Payed just less than £70 for it new.

Its very quiet,reasonable flow,not as spec on flow.

I also have an Eheim 2026 on my 180 litre tank,excellent filter,brought it locally new.
Just ordered a new Eheim pro 3E 2078 for my new Zebra plec tank.Will be here tommorow.

I just think green plastic looks so cheap! If they were clear or black pipes I'd buy one tomorrow I think! Aesthetics are everything :D

I still run a Fluval Plus 2 on my 35 litre and do like it. I HATED the U3 I bought, it is languishing in a cupboard now. Can't bring myself to sell it and impose it on someone else. Noisy, ridiculous, space-wasting thing. No, I don't want a Fluval, that's that decision made.

So back to either an Eheim if I can get over the green and lack of baskets, or EFX now I've heard good things. I won't confuse myself further by adding Tetratec to the mix...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back