Aq. Salt Or Instant Ocean?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Boy_In_A_BoX

Reaction score
hey everyone
i was wondering what the differences between aqurium salt which can be baught in large volumes for next to nothing and instant ocean salt for marine aquariums is? and can goldfish live in both, one/other?
thanks guys...

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:

I'm not real familiar with the 2 products but I think that aquarium salt is what is sometimes used for treating diseases in FW tanks (and maybe for adding to water to create brackish water for mollies) and Instant Ocean is for adding to water to make saltwater for SW tanks. You will get a better response if you post this in the SW section or the Coldwater section since you are asking about goldfish. I do feel relatively sure that you don't want to use either for goldfish. They are freshwater fish and do not need (or like) salt in the water.

they are used for the same thing which is making salt water or brackish aquariums and sometimes for treating diseases.Goldfish should never be put in salt or brackishwater as it will kill them

Aquarium Salt is just Rock Salt. You can buy 50 pound bags (some people use it in water softener system) just be sure you buy the "Solar Dried" and not Kiln Dried. This can not be used to make "Sea Water" for it lacks everything but salt.

As for Instant Ocean and it's kins are formulated to simulate sea water with minerals and buffers. You can use this in Fresh Water to harden the water or for medical treatment. Also, a bucket of marine mix is cheaper than buying small containers of African Cichlid Salt.

As for adding salt to goldfish tanks Aquarium/Rock salt or Marine Salt mix but can be used in both cases if cost is not the factor.

The only time you should ever use aquarium salt is for treating illness.

Goldfish needing a tonic effect can be salted at 1 teaspoon per gallon for a long time.In fact some people permanently keep goldfish in this solution
Salting a tank at .2% is commonly used to treat ulcers, other flesh wounds, fin rot and as an aid to help them breathe better through a nitrite spike. This level can be tolerated for a few weeks to months.

I know someone who has their tank salted at .2% for the past 4 or 5 months.

Salting to .3% helps to kill off external parasites and the goldfish will be happy with this level for 3 weeks.

Salt can only be used though if the fish is happy and healthy to begin with. If a fish is fighting ich and is less than two inches long and looks unhappy, then salt isnt advised as it may cause kidney damage.

If you need to salt then add 1 teaspoon per gallon or 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons U.S, which is 3 for Ukers every twelve hours until the desired solution is met.

If using to treat ich then add the salt first before upping the temperature afterwards.

All salt except table salt can be used, even pickling and kosher salt.

I have no idea what salinity .1% would measure on one of those scale things for saltwater, probably not a lot

I have had a 300 gallon goldfish/koi/planted pond for 15 years. Every 3-4 weeks I would add 1Cup of Instant ocean. There's always been the weekly water top off and monthly 25-30% water change. Never had any problems with anything! My Koi and fancy goldfish would breed allowing me to give fish away every year. I ran a "woman" made filter though my water was not very clear. Summer of 2015 I introduced a Fishmate gravity filter with UV. WOW it was awesome...water became crystal clear. So clear the fish freaked. I became frustrated having to clean the filter medium EVERY DAY!! Soon I had run out of instant ocean, the closest Pet Shop is 25 miles away so I used Aquarium salt that I could purchase at Wal-Mart. Toward the end of summer I began to have  issues with swimmers bladder..ich..finrot..fungus..! Made a good water change and started the 1 Cup of instant ocean and ALL became well again. Christmas of 2015 I received a Matala- BIOSTEPS 10 W/waterfall. BIOSTEPS 10 has been running 3 weeks now and it is the best thing to happen to my pond besides the Instant Ocean.

Most reactions

trending

Back