Apistogramma Nijsseni

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Robbo85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi , I have a M/F pair of apistogramma nijsseni in my 40G SA set up an the male has started colouring up really nicely, he has a really nice purple hue to him and bright red edging to his fins but the female is struggling, she is not competing well for food and im having to spot feed her but even then see just takes one or two micro wafers and goes back into hiding where the male eats loads.

a couple of months ago they spawned in a flower pot but the eggs didn't hatch, someone got to them first. now I rarely see the female but the male always comes to the front of the tank when I go up to it.

would another female help or is there anything else I can do to help her?

water params are

PH 6.6
nitrate 0
ammonia 0

photos of when the pair were doing better
IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG

The female's condition could be due to disease, or to rejection by the male.  I have seen the latter.  Sit very quietly observing the tank for 20 minutes or more, and see how the two react.  If the male is bullying the female, or she is constantly trying to avoid him, separating them (different tanks) is necessary.  [This separation would also be advisable for disease, as it would allow you to provide more food in a stress-free environment that could help, depending upon the disease.]

The fact that this "pair" spawned once or even more, is not indicative that they bonded, and this is key.  Cichlids must select their mates, or at any rate accept each other and bond.  Their interactive behaviours should make this obvious.

Eggs disappearing at night is common if there are nocturnal fish in the tank.  Most all catfish are nocturnal, and the cichlids rest ("sleep") during darkness, so the eggs are an easy target.  Of course, the fish themselves might eat the spawn if they are at all stressed.

Byron.

Byron said:
The female's condition could be due to disease, or to rejection by the male.  I have seen the latter.  Sit very quietly observing the tank for 20 minutes or more, and see how the two react.  If the male is bullying the female, or she is constantly trying to avoid him, separating them (different tanks) is necessary.  [This separation would also be advisable for disease, as it would allow you to provide more food in a stress-free environment that could help, depending upon the disease.]

The fact that this "pair" spawned once or even more, is not indicative that they bonded, and this is key.  Cichlids must select their mates, or at any rate accept each other and bond.  Their interactive behaviours should make this obvious.

Eggs disappearing at night is common if there are nocturnal fish in the tank.  Most all catfish are nocturnal, and the cichlids rest ("sleep") during darkness, so the eggs are an easy target.  Of course, the fish themselves might eat the spawn if they are at all stressed.

Byron.

thank you, I have watched them and the male doesn't seem to take much notice of the female, she isn't moving much now and I fear the worst, unfortunately I don't have another tank to put her in so im not sure there is much more I can do.

Sadly She has passed, not sure if it was disease or rejection or something else but I don't want to give up with these fish. If I get another would it be better getting multiple females or should I stick to one?

Robbo85 said:
Sadly She has passed, not sure if it was disease or rejection or something else but I don't want to give up with these fish. If I get another would it be better getting multiple females or should I stick to one?

In a large-enough tank, one male and two or three females will work.  The females get very feisty if they spawn and have eggs/fry to guard.  I had a female kill another female while guarding fry.  But if you are left with a bonded pair, perhaps worth it.

Many years ago I acquired five Apistogramma bitaeniata (known as A. kleii back then).  I had no idea if they were male or female, so I took the group of five.  As they settled and grew, one was a dominant male and he spawned with a female; I kept them all in the same tank, and they seemed to tolerate each other.  After a bit I removed the fry to raise and sell.  The male died after a few months, and I assumed I was left with four females, as only the one "male" had been apparent.  To my surprise, another male appeared, and spawned with a female.  Turns out this is not that uncommon in some Apistogramma; it is not a sex reversal, just a case of one male being dominant and the others remain "neutral" to avoid trouble in such a small space, but given the chance, they will take over the dominant role.

Could have been some health issue with your female.  These are not robust fish, the Apistogramma, especially the wild caught species.

Byron.

thank you Byron, I will try with two as I have a 40 gallon but with heavy planting and lots of wood and other cover, the male is looking really good so hopefully one of the females at least will take.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back