Apistogramma Agassizii

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

danlock10y

Reaction score
Hi, about a month ago I purchased what I thought was one male and 3 female juvenile flame red agassizii as I was told they should be kept in a harem. It now turns out I have two pairs. Should I add some females to make two harems? Should I remove one of the males? Should I do both?

The tank is a 240l with 3 opaline gouramis, 6 bronze cories and 10 cardinal tetras.

You might be best to leave well enough alone.  There is always the chance that another "female" might be a male.  

When male and female of many species of Apistogramma are housed together, and in smallish tanks as the store's would be, one male will likely be the dominant and other males may not appear "male" but more closely behave as female.  I had this occur many years ago when I purchased a group of five A. bitaeniata thinking I had one male and four females.  The male and a female spawned more than once.  The male died some time later, and to my surprise, one of the assumed "females" was a male and developed the longer fins and spawned with a true female.  This is not a case of sex reversal, but simply the subordinate male(s) remaining non-threatening to the dominant.  I expect the small tank space is a major factor, as I had them in smallish quarters.  This could be why your second male, now in the more spacious tank at home, is showing his true colours as it were.

I would be more concerned with your three Opaline Gourami.  This variety is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, which is the same species that is also available as the Blue, Gold, Cosby, Marble and some other varieties.  Sometimes males can be extremely territorial, and other members have reported problems with females that may suddenly turn nasty to other species.  Just a caution.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back