Apisto eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If they weren't viable or fertilised, I would have expected the eggs to be white or fungused by now; don't forget hatching times can vary slightly, according to water hardness, temperature and some other factors, like the age of the parents.

For a breeding tank, you want something around 20 gallons, preferably with a sponge filter and lots of plants and wood; you want it to be a bit scruffy and overgrown. Not all fish need dithers; try them without first.
Good to know. Also for a cave would a artificial cave be better or natural rock like mine currently has spawned under?

You'll want more than one cave; you should provide as wide a variety as possible. Bear in mind that they like the cave to be easily defensible, so they might want a cave or entrance a lot smaller than you think.

Do you know the clay saucers you can buy to put under flowerpots? Those, with a bit taken out of the rim with a pair of pliers make very popular spawning caves for the smaller dwarf cichlids.

I am pretty sure the eggs started hatching today I can’t really tell but there are less eggs and the female is very attentive to one certain nook under the rock. I think that may be where she has put the fry.

When the fry become free swimming what will be a good progression of food if I start them with insuforia on the leaves.

When the fry become free swimming what will be a good progression of food if I start them with insuforia on the leaves.

I would use the powdered flake gently squirted into the shoal. If you see them scurrying around after the moving flake particles, you will know they are eating.

The fry are currently sitting on the floor of the cave moving around. Should I start feeding or wait till the mother brings them out?

i would wait till the mother brings them out, i say this because there will always be food for them in a well established tank when they are small

Okay thanks. Just looked and the mother has started to bring them out toward some leaf litter in the tank. I will try to see if they will take food when I feed the tank tonight if they are all out of the cave.

My female has moved the fry away from the catappa leaves should I move them close to her so the fry can get insuforia?

My female has moved the fry away from the catappa leaves should I move them close to her so the fry can get insuforia?

You don't want to startle or scare the female, so I would stay out of the tank. If they found the leaves once they won't forget.

Currently for this tank I change 3-4 gallons weekly. Should I increase this? I am about to switch from using buckets to a python so I will be able to do it very easily if I need to.

Currently for this tank I change 3-4 gallons weekly. Should I increase this? I am about to switch from using buckets to a python so I will be able to do it very easily if I need to.

Water change is worked out on the basis of percentage of the tank volume. If this is a 10g and you change 3-4 gallons, that is not bad but not that much either (a 10g would hold closer to 8 actual gallons with substrate and decor).

I change at least 50%, usually 60-65% of the tank volume once a week on all my tanks. Provided the parameters (GH and pH and temperature) are close, you really cannot change too much, but you certainly can not change enough. This applies to all tanks with fiish.

In tanks with fry, the more water changes you do, the better will be the growth and health of the fry. [Some discus breeders change 95% of the fry tank volume once or even more times every day.]

Again to avoid stressing out the female, when fry are present like this I do water changes using a hose at one corner of the tank, not bothering to go over the substrate which will chase the fish around the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back