What's new

Apisto compatiblity

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently I lost the male of my super red apisto pair. I was wondering would any other type of apisto be compatible with the female or should I try to get another super red male.

Recently I lost the male of my super red apisto pair. I was wondering would any other type of apisto be compatible with the female or should I try to get another super red male.

This may not work, either way. I'll explain below, but what is the tank size, and how is it aquascaped?

Most neo-tropical cichlid species select their own mates. They bond. Any male and female put together does not always work; it may appear to work for a time and then the female is dead, or they may oppose one another from the first. Usually the female dies depending upon the space and places to hide (hence the questions) but even this is no guarantee; my male Bolivian Ram killed the female in a 5-foot planted tank when he got tired of her being there (they had not bonded).

Byron.

This may not work, either way. I'll explain below, but what is the tank size, and how is it aquascaped?

Most neo-tropical cichlid species select their own mates. They bond. Any male and female put together does not always work; it may appear to work for a time and then the female is dead, or they may oppose one another from the first. Usually the female dies depending upon the space and places to hide (hence the questions) but even this is no guarantee; my male Bolivian Ram killed the female in a 5-foot planted tank when he got tired of her being there (they had not bonded).

Byron.
The tank is 20gal medium planted with driftwood and a clay pot. The plants will continue to increase overtime as they are on the low side because of a recent rescape. That is interesting about that they may not be compatible I always heard it was rams that you had to worry about with mates. I won't do it if it won't work because I don't won't either fish killed in the process.

The tank is 20gal medium planted with driftwood and a clay pot. The plants will continue to increase overtime as they are on the low side because of a recent rescape. That is interesting about that they may not be compatible I always heard it was rams that you had to worry about with mates. I won't do it if it won't work because I don't won't either fish killed in the process.

This would be my take.

Thanks for the response. At the moment the female still has a few fry from last spawning. Long term since she raised them could I keep a male or another female from this spawning or would it be the same case?

Thanks for the response. At the moment the female still has a few fry from last spawning. Long term since she raised them could I keep a male or another female from this spawning or would it be the same case?

With fry present, I definitely would not add any mature apistogramma. Let the fry develop, you may have more than the tank will handle when they mature.

With fry present, I definitely would not add any mature apistogramma. Let the fry develop, you may have more than the tank will handle when they mature.
Sorry forgot to mention I would of not been adding anything till the fry are gone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back