The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

calypso985

Reaction score
About 50 years ago, I used to have an aquarium -- a very happy healthy one.  My success must have been blind beginner's luck, because I knew nothing of the nitrogen cycle, yet my tank flourished!  Okay, so here I am 50 years later, trying to pick up this hobby where I left off.  Unfortunately, I set up my tank BEFORE I started reading on the 'net, BEFORE I found this forum.  *sigh*

Okay, here's the problem:  I set up my tank with freshly washed gravel, a couple of plants and the water.  Two days later, I added more plants and 5 zebra danios.  About a week after that, I added the rest of my fish. 
no.gif
   Only THEN did I become aware of the nitrogen cycle.  
sad1.gif
   So popped out and picked up the API test kits for Ammonia and Nitrates, and began testing the water.  (I should probably mention that I used RO water for the initial set-up.  Later, I was told that tap water is better because RO water lacks minerals that the fish need, so I began doing daily partial water changes with tap water -- about 20% -- in the hope of countering the ammonia readings AND reintroducing any missing minerals.)  The ammonia test results only got WORSE!  Like darker-than-the-darkest-color-on-the-card worse.

When the very first test showed 4 ppm, I bought some AmmoLock and added it according to the directions.  As per the documentation, the test still showed positive for ammonia even though it said that the AmmoLock changes ammonia to ammonium.  (I'm confused as to what good this test is if it does not distinguish between the two.)

Fast forward to today (2 weeks later):  after repeated water changes of 25% to 30%, the readings are now off-the-chart positive for ammonia . . . but my fish are showing NO signs of stress or discomfort.  I should mention that, on the advice of my LFS, I've STOPPED using AmmoLock, but I now "condition" all new water with API Stress Coat.  Does this product cause false readings??  What the heck is going on?  How can there be 8+ ppm in brand new treated tap water??  I tested some water directly out of the tap and there actually is a tiny amount of ammonia in it (between 0.25 and 0.5 ppm) . . . but definitely NOT 8 ppm (or more).  Is it possible to use too much Stress Coat? 

Possibly pertinent details:  13.3 gallons, Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter, water temp 76ºF, pH 7.6, nitrates 0.0, moderately heavy plantings, one large lava rock, one PennPlax resin ornament, LED lighted hood.  Population:  5 zebra danios, 2 neon tetras, 6 platys, 2 guppies, 2 corys, 2 algae-eating shrimp, and 2 very small platy babies (hitchhikers that came in on plants!).

I am aware that this is really pushing the limits as far as the number of fish, but I swear they are all active and alert and apparently thriving.  With the exception of the babies who hide judiciously in the greenery, no one hides or "lurks". 

It has been 3 weeks now, and I am very worried that my tank is NOT cycled/cycling, and I do not know how to find out for sure, or what to do about it.    What I need now is advice to help me stabilize the tank (get the cycling on track/complete) without losing my fish.  Please don't chastise me for what I've done wrong (adding fish too soon, and whatever else) -- I'm well-aware that I screwed up. 
unsure.png

Thank you all in advance for helping me get back on track!! 
thanks.gif

fish.gif

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Well, as you already seem to be aware, there are a few issues.

You are not the first and will not be the last to do things in this way unfortunately.

First of all, I think your tank is NOT cycled, there are no nitrates showing on your tests even though that particular test can be inaccurate. 

Second, your tank is overstocked ....

calypso985 said:
Possibly pertinent details:  13.3 gallons, Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter, water temp 76ºF, pH 7.6, nitrates 0.0, moderately heavy plantings, one large lava rock, one PennPlax resin ornament, LED lighted hood.  Population:  5 zebra danios, 2 neon tetras, 6 platys, 2 guppies, 2 corys, 2 algae-eating shrimp, and 2 very small platy babies (hitchhikers that came in on plants!).

Here is my recommendation, you may not like this but i think is the best way to go.

1 - Re-home or take back ALL your fish to LFS
2 - Do 100% water change and restart fishless cycle

Basically start afresh.

Why? This will be a much easier and quicker process to do and less stressful for you AND the stocking.

Have a read of this if you have not already done so

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Sorry if this post seems negative for you, but am trying whats best for you and the stocking as ammonia and nitrite as well as nitrate when you get that will be damaging to the stocking as all these are toxic for fish in varying degrees.

By the way I would recommend you get API liquid test kit for nitrite to go with your tests of ammonia and nitrates.

Then take it from there. Hope that helps.

I second Ch4rlie's recommendation. I know it's probably the last thing you want to do but it will be so much less stressful for you and the fish.
The zebra danios should be re-homed at some point anyways, as they are sub-tropical, and although small, are very active. Most people recommend a 3-4ft long tank for them.

How often are you doing water changes?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back