Api Fin and Body cure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
As I was replacing my filter intake sponge (I removed the sponge and exchanged it for a less bulbous one) one of my more inquisitive panda cordydora swam up to the uncovered intake tube. She was only stuck for a moment and as I went to unplug the filter she took matters into her own hands and got free, but half of her tail was torn off in the process. Her tail has developed what I think may be the beginning stages of rot. The edges are not translucent but dark brown/tan in color. I tested my water parameters and did an extra thirty percent water change as I did notice my nitrates were a bit higher than is safe. She shows no signs of lethargy, distress, or lack of appetite at the moment. My other fish are not picking on her but I will still be moving her to quarantine for treatment.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=975#.Wcb3VWhSw2w
The package says that the active ingredient is 250mg of Doxycline Hyclate per packet (one packet treats 10 gallons).

Has anyone used this medicine before? My questions are as follows:

Is it safe for plants? I have one healthy anubias in the quarantine 5 gallon and I don't want it to die.

Will this kill the bacteria I have in the Q tank filter? I have spare filter media ready if thats the case.

I have not and probably would not use this product. Any product that claims to treat so many things is not likely of much effect on some if not most of them. But there are other issues here.

First, clean water of the appropriate parameters and other cories in the tank are the best treatments. Healthy fish will recover from such trauma given these; medications usually make it worse because any medication/additive will detrimentally affect the fish to some degree, at the very least causing stress which further weakens the fish.

Second, if the fins do develop something it will be fungal, not bacterial, so antibiotics (which should never be used unless absolutely required, same as for humans) are not the way to go. Antibiotics can kill various species of bacteria so this is a risk anyway. Some will decimate plants, I've no idea about this particular one, but as I said I wouldn't advise using this anyway.

Keep the fish in with the other cories and it will promote better conditions. And water changes...nitrates are toxic to fish and cories are subject to this so keep them low, never above 20 ppm and preferably much lower than this.

I am a
I have not and probably would not use this product. Any product that claims to treat so many things is not likely of much effect on some if not most of them. But there are other issues here.

First, clean water of the appropriate parameters and other cories in the tank are the best treatments. Healthy fish will recover from such trauma given these; medications usually make it worse because any medication/additive will detrimentally affect the fish to some degree, at the very least causing stress which further weakens the fish.

Second, if the fins do develop something it will be fungal, not bacterial, so antibiotics (which should never be used unless absolutely required, same as for humans) are not the way to go. Antibiotics can kill various species of bacteria so this is a risk anyway. Some will decimate plants, I've no idea about this particular one, but as I said I wouldn't advise using this anyway.

Keep the fish in with the other cories and it will promote better conditions. And water changes...nitrates are toxic to fish and cories are subject to this so keep them low, never above 20 ppm and preferably much lower than this.
I am aware that water changes are necessary. Id lapsed by one day because if a hectic work schedule. I tested the water once more before work this morning and everything is stable. She still shows interest in food and other shoaling activity.

My question remains though on how to treat her if she develops rot. I have read corydora are very sensitive to salt so it wont be an option.

I am a

I am aware that water changes are necessary. Id lapsed by one day because if a hectic work schedule. I tested the water once more before work this morning and everything is stable. She still shows interest in food and other shoaling activity.

My question remains though on how to treat her if she develops rot. I have read corydora are very sensitive to salt so it wont be an option.

Cories are even more sensitive to some other so-called medications. I'm not at all suggesting salt here, just making the point. I seldom add any product to my tanks unless I can see an obvious contagious issue that is likely to spread. Clean water and avoiding stress really are the best treatments in a majority of cases. That was my point about water changes...not that you weren't doing them. And i would not go beyond this "treatment" if I were you.

As for what to use if you do...I can't really answer that. I don't think there is any "fin rot" and you want to make sure there really is before jumping to conclusions.

My question remains though on how to treat her if she develops rot.
Thats easy, Lots of clean warm treated water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back