Anyone Used Hydrogen Peroxide Before?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well the good news is i have 2 more methods to try. never tried hydrogen peroxide, but have used bleach for years... will give it a try with my daughters plants in her tank at the weekend.

I use common household bleach (sodium hydroxide), which will kill the algae, but it basically turns it from green algae to white algae, its still really hard to get off. If I'm doing all my plastic plants and ornaments, say every 3 months, I get 1L of vinegar and dump the plants in it to neutralize the excess bleach (they fizz slightly as one would expect), then wash them under hot water. If Hydrogen Peroxide helps to remove the algae as well then that's a bonus and I'll definitely try that in the future!

BTW, was just wondering where one gets Hydrogen Peroxide, but I see its the main ingredient formed in water (plus sodium carbonate - harmless) when VANISH is added to water. 

TrickySpot said:
I use common household bleach (sodium hydroxide), which will kill the algae, but it basically turns it from green algae to white algae, its still really hard to get off. If I'm doing all my plastic plants and ornaments, say every 3 months, I get 1L of vinegar and dump the plants in it to neutralize the excess bleach (they fizz slightly as one would expect), then wash them under hot water. If Hydrogen Peroxide helps to remove the algae as well then that's a bonus and I'll definitely try that in the future!

BTW, was just wondering where one gets Hydrogen Peroxide, but I see its the main ingredient formed in water (plus sodium carbonate - harmless) when VANISH is added to water. 

You can find it at any of the grocery stores or dollar stores, it's cheap too.

eaglesaquarium said:

Personally, I'd go the bleach route, but the H2O2 will work too.  You CAN do it in the tank as well, but I'd not take that chance if you don't have to.

If you did go straight into the tank, I assume it would still have its cleaning and killing small things property, with it breaking down to water and oxygen - especially at high temperature and high pH (your average non-expert fish keepers tank). Wouldn't this be the perfect treatment for a bacterial bloom? It'll kill the bacteria and oxygenate the water so your fish don't suffocate? Or is it more of a cleaner rather than a killer?

Just realized though it could affect your bacterial colonies in your filter and substrate, so that's not so good.

fishwarrior said:
I've used the bleach method, but think Hydrogen Peroxide would be cheaper and easier on the plants.  Bleach only makes things look clean while the peroxide actually cleans it and don't have to worry about the fumes.  Soak in hot water too can help.

peroxide just fizzes.

i've done a complete tank clean with bleach. this involves moving everything out.  then i rinse off my plants in the bleach water. then i boil my substrate.
i've noticed that API fungal treatment kills some types of algae completely. that's a pain though cause it dyes everything.

for cloudy bacterial blooms that dont go away, i use a few crushed tetra lifeguard tablets added to the water.

if you have a 5-10 gallon tank, just remove the fish and plants and remove the water , add hotwater, sit 5 mins, siphon, add hotwater, sit 5 mins, REPEAT 3x  and your tank will
be very clean. also use a bottle brush on the sides of the tank in between siphoning.

i just QUICK-cleaned my tank and it was covered in algae.
odGvlYz.png

TrickySpot said:

Personally, I'd go the bleach route, but the H2O2 will work too.  You CAN do it in the tank as well, but I'd not take that chance if you don't have to.

If you did go straight into the tank, I assume it would still have its cleaning and killing small things property, with it breaking down to water and oxygen - especially at high temperature and high pH (your average non-expert fish keepers tank). Wouldn't this be the perfect treatment for a bacterial bloom? It'll kill the bacteria and oxygenate the water so your fish don't suffocate? Or is it more of a cleaner rather than a killer?

Just realized though it could affect your bacterial colonies in your filter and substrate, so that's not so good.

That's why when using the H2O2 inside the tank, you need to use it either as a spot treatment, OR without the filter running.  Even as a spot treatment, you want to turn off the circulation, so that the H2O2 stays as much in contact with the troubled decor/plant as possible, and then turn the circulation back on after about 15 minutes.

Hydrogen peroxide like eagles said, is best as a spot treatment! I work on 1mL of peroxide solution per 10L of tank water to avoid overoxygenating the water.

I use a 10mL syringe with a horse needle attached; this lets me do a pretty precise spot treatment as well as drawing it cleanly out of the bottle. I just spot treat directly onto the offending algae, focusing on letting it 'sit' in place - peroxide is heavier than water so dose from above.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back