Anyone Used Hydrogen Peroxide Before?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One of my tanks has fake plants and no matter what I do they always get black dirt on them. Not hairy or anything just like mold in a bathroom really. I assume it's some kind of algae. I've used a scrubbing brush on them but it's not coming off. I've read about using diluted bleach to clean them but I'm afraid to do this. Then I read s few snippets about using Hydrogen Peroxide as it's supposed to be safe.

Has anyone done this? How would I do it? Take them out and soak them in water mixed with it? For how long?

Bleach is actually the best treatment.

I've used it with LIVE PLANTS... and had success, although the thinner leaved plants did suffer some damage.

The bleach solution is simple... Fill a container with 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.   Make sure the bleach is unscented and has no 'additives' of any type.  (The cheap stuff, really.)  And leave the plants in the solution for about 1 minute... maybe 2.  Seeing as they are plastic, you shouldn't have any real problems, although fading is possible, I suppose.

Then rinse the plants and then just let the plants soak in FRESH water (no bleach) for a few minutes, with extra dechlorinator added... roughly a double dose of your normal tank dose would be MORE than enough for a small container.  Then give them a final quick rinse and replace in the tank.

If using H2O2... its not much different instructions.  You can just dose the plastic plants directly with the 3% solution (what most bottles come with) and then place into a water bath for a while to let it do what it will do.    Rinse after about 30 minutes and replace.

Personally, I'd go the bleach route, but the H2O2 will work too.  You CAN do it in the tank as well, but I'd not take that chance if you don't have to.

I've used the bleach method, but think Hydrogen Peroxide would be cheaper and easier on the plants.  Bleach only makes things look clean while the peroxide actually cleans it and don't have to worry about the fumes.  Soak in hot water too can help.

fishwarrior said:
I've used the bleach method, but think Hydrogen Peroxide would be cheaper and easier on the plants.  Bleach only makes things look clean while the peroxide actually cleans it and don't have to worry about the fumes.  Soak in hot water too can help.

Incorrect.  Bleach is a strongly basic solution and is used as a cleanser all over the world because it is one of the BEST cleaners there is... not just in that it removes the color, but it breaks down the molecular structure of many of the materials it is used to remove.  It is also capable of destroying living cells, such as bacteria and ALGAE, as well as the DNA structure of viruses.

Fake plants you can just leave out in the sun for a couple of days to kill algae :)

Thanks for the advice, It's really stuck on there this time and it won't even come off with boiling water and a scrubbing brush! It's so annoying. Not sure which method I'm gonna try, I've read loads of people swear by the bleach method. I did read about letting the algae dry and die off but how does that work then? It dries and dies and then it just comes off easily?

Eagle so I don't need to soak in bleach for long then? And should it just rinse off or will I need to scrub? I'm gonna try it I think

Soaking to kill the algae happens very quickly... but you might still want to scrub it off to ensure it leaves, or it might 'hang on' for a while (dead).  Some fish eat dead algae.  Snails do as well.  Once dead it should come off fairly easily.    And with plastic plants you can afford to be a bit less gentle than with live plants (which is what I used it on).

As for 'drying' some algae doesn't just die when its dried out - Black Beard Algae, for example, needs much more 'harsh' treatment to eradicate it.

I've used it before & it cleared up all the hair algae thats when I didn't have my Ameca Splendens but they love it so don't have that problem anymore , my dad had hair algae in his tank so I gave him some Ameca's for a few months its all gone in hs tank & the Ameca's are now safely back home
smile.png

Am I wrong in being very concerned for the possible toxicity of bleach going back into the tank? Even a trace would surely be bad news for the fish?
Hydrogen peroxide is used as an antiseptic agent for wound care and can even be used as a mouthwash / gargle in humans, so I would think that is less likely to be an issue?
Not convinced about either really, as I was advised not to use even simple washing up liquid on items going into the aquarium! Perhaps I'm being way too over cautious!

Bleach is only a concern if the items replaced back into the tank aren't 'dechlorinated'.  This can easily be done with a good rinse, and soak in a container with a bit of dechlorinator added.  The key is no surfactants or perfumes added.

Of course! Bazaar to think that washing up liquid is worse than bleach, but I understand what you mean eaglesaquarium! Thanks

Bleach dips are a common solution to several problems, including algae, pest snails riding on new plants, sterilizing decor, etc.

eaglesaquarium said:

Incorrect.  Bleach is a strongly basic solution and is used as a cleanser all over the world because it is one of the BEST cleaners there is... not just in that it removes the color, but it breaks down the molecular structure of many of the materials it is used to remove.  It is also capable of destroying living cells, such as bacteria and ALGAE, as well as the DNA structure of viruses.

Some fish guy did a bleach vs hydrogen peroxide experiment under a microscope (you can google it) and the results were bleach only whiten but didn't remove the nasties, while the peroxide did both.  I clean my filter socks with the peroxide, gets it real clean without all the smell.  As far as plants go, very hot water should do the trick, that's what I usually do without bleach.

I'd be very interested to see that study, if you can find it again, please post here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back