Anyone Have A Dirt Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I am going to take my planted 80gal tank down and redo the whole thing. I do this every 2 years. The plants are not growing as well has they were so It is time to switch it up. 

I am thinking of going with a dirt base with Clay mixed in it. Then top it with a good layer of sand?

This would be my first dirt tank and I am a little scared but excited. I see going with dirt the cheapest way to make a planted 80gal. 

I would like to see others Dirt tanks and here about how it works for you. 

here's some advice, a dirt tank is a permanent setup. im sure you know dirt is messy, its dirt. So when you put plants in there make sure that is where you want them, do a very precise plan before hand. because when you life a plant up to move, the dirt comes up and can taint the water slightly. kind of like in a lake, when you take a footstep in the water the mud/dirt makes a cloud.

Hi I'm new here. But six seven mounts ago i start a 20Gal tank for test with dirt. 1 inch of black dirt. 1 inch of Pet Most and 1.5inch of sand. All the plant grow like crase in the tank. I run a Nutrafin Natural CO2 and 4x T5HO 24in. 8 hrs a day. 20 fish. Fluval 103 for filtration. I will post some photo tomorow. (Sorry for my poor English)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back