Anyone Had Any Succes Keeping Guppies With Bettas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I would like Guppies but haven't got any because of my Betta. Has anyone here kept guppies with a Betta?

There are a few here who have I haven't since I like a little bit bigger fish

I have 4 bettas and 5 guppies sharing a tank. Just keep your eye on them if you decide to try it. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it could work for others. :)

I also have a male betta living with three male guppies, they get along fabulously. BUT, I think this largely has to do with the personality of the individual betta in question. I doubt I would have tried it had the LFS not had my boy in with a tank of guppies to begin with.

I also have a male betta living with three male guppies, they get along fabulously. BUT, I think this largely has to do with the personality of the individual betta in question. I doubt I would have tried it had the LFS not had my boy in with a tank of guppies to begin with.

This is my experience as well. I've had bettas that are rather fond of community settings, including guppies, but I've also had some that are fiercely solitary.

This is my experience as well. I've had bettas that are rather fond of community settings, including guppies, but I've also had some that are fiercely solitary.

I spoke too soon. He'd been in there for a week, but tonight all of the guppies were in an ornament and Luck was rampaging about, flaring like mad. I've had to do some rearranging, but now he's in a tank with 2 otos and some cories. Hopefully he'll calm down now :(

I spoke too soon. He'd been in there for a week, but tonight all of the guppies were in an ornament and Luck was rampaging about, flaring like mad. I've had to do some rearranging, but now he's in a tank with 2 otos and some cories. Hopefully he'll calm down now :(

Oh goodness! Is he ok? Was he flaring at anything in particular? Sounds like he got over the stress of moving into a new tank and went right into frenzy mode.

Luck, the little bully, is totally fine. He's currently terrorizing my peppered cory, flaring and all. I'm might have to keep him in a jar overnight until I can buy him something more permanent tomorrow. What a disaster. :no:

I have a male and 2 female guppies in with my female bettas

My PK male (that i thought was a female originally) attacked my male guppy, this is when i realised she was a he :lol:
so in my experience male guppies and male bettas dont mix :)

flaring isnt bad at all. likely hes trying to size up the other fish and determine if they are a threat. you might even notice a little chasing which will settle down. now NIPPING is another story and that is when the fish should be removed. You cant expect the betta to not be curious and act like the boss when his is first introduced to the other fuis. Nipping=no good. Flaring and following/chasing for a few days is ok and as i said will probably calm down in a few days.
ive never had a problem with any of my boys with guppies (when i used to keep guppies all my bettas shared a tank with them at one time or another). same goes with cories. never once had a problem in all the bettas ive had in community settings, which is quite a few (and i did not try to "judge character" before trying. In fact, one particular betta i thought would not work out and kept a close watch. Now he hangs out with the cories. So you never know. just keep a good eye on the tank.
cheers

I'm the same I've got 2 male guppys in with my male betta and they are fine.

It honestly depends on the betta, and it's personality. Some will rip the fins right off of guppies, while others won't do a thing.

I've witnessed both sides of the coin - A betta that could live with guppies, but would randomly chase them down and bite their tails and fins.

And one that could be housed with young gupppy fry, and adults, and wouldn't touch them.

If you want to try it, be prepared to have another tank set up (established of course) to put either the guppies or the betta in, in case of an emergency.

Good luck!

-f_f!

flaring isnt bad at all. likely hes trying to size up the other fish and determine if they are a threat. you might even notice a little chasing which will settle down. now NIPPING is another story and that is when the fish should be removed. You cant expect the betta to not be curious and act like the boss when his is first introduced to the other fuis. Nipping=no good. Flaring and following/chasing for a few days is ok and as i said will probably calm down in a few days.
ive never had a problem with any of my boys with guppies (when i used to keep guppies all my bettas shared a tank with them at one time or another). same goes with cories. never once had a problem in all the bettas ive had in community settings, which is quite a few (and i did not try to "judge character" before trying. In fact, one particular betta i thought would not work out and kept a close watch. Now he hangs out with the cories. So you never know. just keep a good eye on the tank.
cheers

I'm going to leave him in his temporary housing for a bit to see if he settles down, then I'll try to reintroduce him into the tank. I just don't understand why he'd be so placid for a week, then go berserk all of a sudden. I assumed he would have done that right off the bat...

I've let Luck calm down a bit and I've got him a brand new tank up & running in case things go awry, but I've decided to reintroduce him to the community tank. I just hated to see him in that little plastic holding cell, it broke my heart. Here's hoping...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back