Anyone ever kept/raised/fed scuds (Gammarus sp.)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colin_BC

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When I picked up some triple red cacatuoides from a breeder a few weeks back, he gave me a small culture of scuds (aka gammarus sp.) to raise as conditioning food for the cac's. Has anyone here had experience at keeping/breeding scuds? From what I've read, they can be kept at low or tropical temperatures and feed primarily on decaying plant matter. I've read some reports saying to keep their water airated, while others that said airation wasn't necesary. One article stated conditions for keeping/raising scuds was similar to that of daphnia (which I know little of).. The tanks the breeder kept the scuds in had dark green algae-filled water. I didn't think to ask if they were airated or how often he changed the water (if ever)? If anyone can share a bit of knowledge on these, I would greatly appreciate it.

Colin

I guess there aren't many out there that have attempted to raise gammarus (or scuds) culture's before. Has anyone ever used these as fish food? I've seen their cultures sold online, but there isn't much info on care and raising...

Colin

Most reactions

trending

Back