Anybody With Experience Of Both Marine And Discus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Reaction score
for now ive always been a frewshwater keeper , and probably will be for a good few years yet. but if i could have my ultimate dream aquarium it would be a big (100g plus) full blown reef , teeming with life and diversity ( yep i know i dont want much :lol: ) . now asides from obviously the cost putting me off , i also imagine running a setup like that to be really dificult and complicated.

heres where the discus comparison comes in. i keep discus now , and before i did i imagined/belived they myths of how hard they are , but in fact as long as youre not a total beginner , i have found them easy . so is marine as hard as youd think or is it much like the discus thing?

Different rules but probably on an equal with Discus, re water quality. The larger the tank, the easier to keep :good:

Seffie x

Mark

I;d probably say that marines are slightly more difficult/costly and complicated to keep than discus

Having said that after being a marine sceptic for 18 years or so I;ll pretty soon ony have salty tanks. I love them and enjoy the level of maintenance required.

I;ve never been to interested in the scape of my tanks over the years just the fish but now I;m big into the corals and scaping etc and thefish seem to play a bit part

You should have a crack on a smaller nano style scale like my river reef 94.

Marines are no different form any other form of fishkeeping, I've known beginners cut their teeth with Salties and have never even considered keeping freshies.
I had been keeping and breeding fish for eons and decided to set up a marine tank all be it a nano.
There is a learning process of almost everything you knew before on the otherside. You can set up a Marine aquarium almost as cheaply as a freshwater tank, bearing in mind it will be very low spec and will need a constant hands on approach.
You can gear you hobby to your wallet size, but be warned you'll soon be spending monopoly money once the adiction kicks in. :lol:

haha, glad someone asked this, i too was afraid of Discus, but jumped in at about 5month fish keeping experience and have found them much easier than i was lead to believe, and now at approx a year keeping fish i am planning the Salty Dive for early next year... really what it comes down to for me is.. is the work involved worth the joy of watching the fish... with Discus it was, and i know it will be with salt too.

Marines are no different form any other form of fishkeeping, I've known beginners cut their teeth with Salties and have never even considered keeping freshies.
I had been keeping and breeding fish for eons and decided to set up a marine tank all be it a nano.
There is a learning process of almost everything you knew before on the otherside. You can set up a Marine aquarium almost as cheaply as a freshwater tank, bearing in mind it will be very low spec and will need a constant hands on approach.
You can gear you hobby to your wallet size, but be warned you'll soon be spending monopoly money once the adiction kicks in. :lol:

hmmm thats what im afraid of big c , im bad enough with the freshwater , if the marine addiction kicked in id probably be bankrupt :hyper:

simon i quite like the idea of a marine nano shrimp tank i think that would be quite cool .

hmmm thats what im afraid of big c , im bad enough with the freshwater , if the marine addiction kicked in id probably be bankrupt :hyper:

simon i quite like the idea of a marine nano shrimp tank i think that would be quite cool .

with corals like zoa, mushroms etc and a tiny yellow goby!! :good:

got to agree also gotta say that there different difficulties in the fish

eg i would say a damsel was any harder to keep than a guppy

b id also say a tang is easier to keep than some freshwaters and if its just the difficulty that puts you off then go for it youll be fine honestly

before i came on here i had a maroon clown a saifin tang a damsel a watchman goby a wrasse and many other fish in a 15 gallon fr months wich i know no is ridiculous and i still have all except a goby and the sailfin wich died in my 100 gal and im definatly not saying do this but ime saying you can make mistakes and everything wont just crash

:good: :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back