Anybody Know How Long Raphael Catfish Live?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Michfishguy

Reaction score
Does anybody know how long Raphael catfish usually live? I have two one striped Raphael (black and white) and one spotted (chocolate brown with lighter brown spots). I have had these two for a good 12 1/2 years and was just wondering how long there normal life span is.

There was a topic posted up in the Chit Chat section. Maybe do some searches and you might find you answer. Thats so kool they are 12.5 yrs old. I have 1 and my fiance has one. Havn't even had them for a year. How big is yours?

i got one of my plecs froma woman who said she had had her one for almost 20 years but it died shortly after we met, she was upgrading her tank though so it might have been stress related so who knows?

i got one of my plecs froma woman who said she had had her one for almost 20 years but it died shortly after we met, she was upgrading her tank though so it might have been stress related so who knows?

I have read somewhere that the Striped Raphael can live for 22 years,

I have read somewhere that the Striped Raphael can live for 22 years,

I've had mine 22 years he's 6 inches long & is in perfect health
My first one lived about 4 years

I've had mine 8 years and he hasn't grown at all. Still about 3". He will live forever because he will never wear out. The only time I have ever seen him move was when I was doing heavy cleaning in the tank and took out his "home" for a good scrubbing. Did an almost total tear down last week and kept finding him buried in the gravel and rushed to save him. After the 4th time, I realized that I wasn't burying him, he was burrowing to get out of the comotion. My faithful cat was the one who kept telling me where he was buried. Wasn't that thoughtful of her?

Well I lost my striped one when my one tank sprung a leak for the fourth time but my spotted Raphael is still going strong at around 18 years old. He looks like a golf ball with a tail he is so round, probably about 4+ inches long.

There's another thread with someone who has two that are 38 years old :hyper:

Mine is a mere stripling at about 13!

Yes it's mine at 38 years old, I've searched this subject many times and can only find reference to them living over 20 years, most text books suggest 14 ish years which is clearly a best uneducated guess. There must be someone else with Raphaels a similar age to mine, if I can take a picture I'll post it, he certainly isn't a show winner these days :)
Tim

I've had my Spotted Ralphael for 36 years at least. He is in a 55 gallon tank. He's not very big, 3-4 inches.

20150901_234121.jpg

I hope this picture attached, just to show you my striped dora which is now well over 40 years old

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back