Any Wood Safe?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I recently posted about rocks going into my new 8 gallon betta tank. I have some good, safe rocks to put in and no I am wondering about wood.
What kind of wood can go in there? I have some sticks and bark that I would like to use, but is it safe?

Oak wood, malaysian, mopani, and redmoor are the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

If you buy driftwood at a petstore, it should be safe. The ones made for reptiles are also safe.

So what do the other woods do? Will it hurt the fish or the balance of my tank?

The tannins from the wood will slightly lower your pH for a few months and give the tank a tea-stained look. If you dont want that add some carbon and change every 1-2 weeks for a few months.Im not sure the others. I know you shouldnt use pine or cedar though.

Ultimately you want to use hard woods (fingernail doesnt dent the wood much if at all) Some soft woods can be used, but can rot quickly and as such foul up your tank. Do not use bark, and really try to get most bark off branches used :)

Ok! Thanks! 

Alasse said:
Ultimately you want to use hard woods (fingernail doesnt dent the wood much if at all) Some soft woods can be used, but can rot quickly and as such foul up your tank. Do not use bark, and really try to get most bark off branches used
smile.png

As far as i know and used these ones are safe and last the longest when submerged in treated water

Mangrove
Bald cypress
Ash
Aspen
Cork bark
Bamboo
Mopani
Manzanita

And so far the ones i know to avoid by research, reading thru 17 different animal forums and some thru experience. Some of the wood are dangerous for obvious reasons and some of these are not necessary toxic to fish but only because it degrades or rots under water after some time:

almond
apricot
beech
birch
black locust
black lotus
blackwood
box elder
buckthorn
cashew
cedar
chestnut
citrus woods
ebony
elderberry
eucalyptus
fig
fir
gingko
hemlock
holly
honey locust
hydrangea
juniper
kumquat
laurel
mahogany
mango
mesquite
myrtle
oleander
peach
pine
pistachio
plum
poinsettia
raspberry
redwoood
sequoia
spruce
sumac
teak
walnut
willow
yew

Tongue_Flicker said:
And so far the ones i know to avoid by research, reading thru 17 different animal forums and some thru experience. Some of the wood are dangerous for obvious reasons and some of these are not necessary toxic to fish but only because it degrades or rots under water after some time:

eucalyptus
You can take this off the list of do not use. This is perfectly safe to use in a fish tank, nor does it rot.

Most of the wood i own is self collected and is eucalyptus/gum tree

The difficulty with that sort of list is how to gather the data. People report that they've been fine with a wood (I use a fair amount of elder, which does break down faster than I'd like and leaches like a mad thing, but the fish like it and it looks good), however, there's always the risk that people have misidentified their wood or are using wood of a different age/condition or in different tank set ups with different livestock.

The general adage is that anything very fresh is a bad idea, as the sap will leak into the water and cause havoc (and be potentially toxic with some woods), anything ancient (note they rarely bother identifying bog wood, as it hardly matters much after that long under the bog) is fine. Otherwise hard woods will break down more slowly than soft, and rotting quickly can get unsightly (as the wood breaks down with bits falling off and if it encourages mold), as well as possibly increasing the oxygen demand in the tank.

Willow is another one I've used, with no problems, apart from, again, it breaking down quite quickly, but it did sit in the garden drying out for a year or two.

I've heard of people having problems with ash, and have loads of it, I might try a small amount at some point to see with some of my aged stuff as I've heard mixed opinions but none of my ash has been that pretty so far to be honest.

I know some can rot and fall apart but there shouldn't really be any in your LFS that would do that most should be safe. 

Alasse said:
eucalyptus
You can take this off the list of do not use. This is perfectly safe to use in a fish tank, nor does it rot.

Most of the wood i own is self collected and is eucalyptus/gum tree
Would it apply to all species? I find the branches of a baby blue variety kinda cute

Yep, i use a few types. Just ensure the tree has long been dead and the wood is fully dried out

One aspect of wood that no-one has mentioned - the roughness of the wood. With bettas it is preferable to have smooth decoration so their fins don't get damaged. Some of the wood I've seen at the LFS has been pretty rough and some has very sharp pointy bits. Whatever the wood is made from, I'd avoid any wood that will damage the betta.

Alasse said:
Yep, i use a few types. Just ensure the tree has long been dead and the wood is fully dried out
Interesting. Thanks!!

I've been itching to ask something regarding other non-conventional wooden plant parts but i'll make a thread instead

Most reactions

Back