Annoying Mating Behaviour - Troublesome Boesmani

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dazbud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a single male Boesmani in a 250L community tank. He's the last survivor of a small group of Boesmanis I had. Just lately, he's taken to flirting with both the male and female Apistos. They seem totally unaware of the meaning of his behaviour and I'm not overly worried about their welfare because whilst it might be annoying, he is not aggressive towards them. Just keeps swimming nose to nose with them and flicking next to them.They are less than a third his size and can get into all kinds of small places that he can't fit. The tank is well planted too.  

However, I'm more concerned about the other fish, the likes of the Tiger barbs, Denison barbs and Sword tails. He is chasing them away from the Apistos. He isn't targeting any one fish and all parts of the tank are still being occupied. I have a single gourami and he's just had enough, been hiding in the plants for a few days now.

Will this behaviour pass ?

I'm reluctant to take him to the store because he's so colourful and I've had him quite a while. My tank is full, so I can't get him a female either.

Is there anything I can do to discourage the courtship efforts?

Any why the Apistos of all fish ? lol

the behavior will probably not pass. i would advise to bring his number to 6+ or rehome him... also if you do want to bump his numbers up, he is a school fish so one female will not do.
he probably went after them because of the colour they give off

As to what BerryAttack said, Up their numbers. They are in fact shoaling and a social fish. Just like bees. They are social animals

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back