Angelfish Sometimes Gasping At Surface....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
1 of my angels is sometimes going to the surface and gasping. ive never seen him do this before but he seems to be doing it every few minutes. otherwise he looks perfectly healthy and in great shape. i did spot a white streaky poo earlier could my internal probs be back....?
in the last month i have lost a few dwarf rainbows due to dropsy or internal probs i treated with interpet no9 and all seemed fine for a few weeks until a few days ago 1 of my SAE's died, he got a bit swollen and his scales were slightly sticking out like the rainbows were.
i have added a small discus given to me from a mate yesterday but the SAE died a few days ago before i added the discus.

water stats are -
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20/40
pH 8
temp 26C

240L planted tank, 2 x externals running fish in tank are - 2 x SAE, 2 x angels, 3 platys, 5 x dwarf rainbows, 3 x polkadot loach, 1 x spotted climbing perch, 1 x discus.
20% water change weekly, TPN+ and easycarbo ferts added daily for plants.

Gasping means bad water quality, ph shock, toxins, overdose of med, parasites, bacterial, lack of aeration.

Is there plenty of aeration in the tank.
If fish are bloated they can gasp.
What do the gills look like.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing, laboured breathing, darting, excess mucas.

Stringy white poo can also mean constipation.
Was it an internal bacteria infection you treated for?

What test kit are you using.

Gasping, irregular opercular beat, rapid opercular beat (bacteria, dinoflagellates, parasites, toxins)

Gasping means bad water quality, ph shock, toxins, overdose of med, parasites, bacterial, lack of aeration.

Is there plenty of aeration in the tank. yes i have an air filter and an air stone running, also 1 of my externals is moving the surface
If fish are bloated they can gasp. no fish are bloated at the minute but the SAE was and the rainbows were
What do the gills look like. seem fine
Any signs of flicking and rubbing, laboured breathing, darting, excess mucas. no

Stringy white poo can also mean constipation.
Was it an internal bacteria infection you treated for? i added interpet no9 but was unsure if it was internal or dropsy but all sick fish were put in a breeding trap before they died so no fish picked on the dead bodies

What test kit are you using. API master kit

Gasping, irregular opercular beat, rapid opercular beat (bacteria, dinoflagellates, parasites, toxins)

It's not toxins as more fish would be showing symtoms.
It dosn't sound like a parasite.
Water quality good.
The fish not bloated.

Long stringy white poo and gasping.

All I can really suggest is try a bacterial med. But if the fish is gasping it could finish the fish off.

It's not toxins as more fish would be showing symtoms.
It dosn't sound like a parasite.
Water quality good.
The fish not bloated.

Long stringy white poo and gasping.

All I can really suggest is try a bacterial med. But if the fish is gasping it could finish the fish off.
it is a bit strange as the fish seems perfectly healthy is eating ok, swimming ok etc etc just keeps going up for air.... has a few gulps then goes back under for a while!
almost like hes surfacing for food but there isnt any there.....

Is he gasping or gulping.
Is his mouth wide open.
When he goes to the top does he fall back down.

Take a look here.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_some_signs_of_sick_fish.html

Got to go now, but will be back on forum tomorrow.

Is he gasping or gulping.more like gulping to be honest.....
Is his mouth wide open.when at the surface and gulping yes but not when under water
When he goes to the top does he fall back down.no, doent fall back down he just swims about a bit then goes back up!

Take a look here.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_some_signs_of_sick_fish.html

Got to go now, but will be back on forum tomorrow.

How he doing now.

Ok.
Just keep a close eye on him.

ive not seen him do it tonight and he has spawned again with his girly angel friend so he cant be feeling too bad i guess......

That's good news then.
Thanks for the update.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back