Angelfish Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bobby2415

Reaction score
If I were to get a school of say 6 angelfish, do they all need to be the same type? Can I have a variety, such as a couple zebra, couple black lace, etc? Also, what would be some good tank mates for them? They would be in a 55 gallon tank (48” x 12” x 21”). Thanks!

Yes you can mix different colour forms of angelfish together, just try to get them all the same size so they are evenly matched.

Most bottom dwellers are fine with angelfish and fish that are peaceful but not too active but are big enough not to be eaten by the angels when they mature.

Yes you can mix different colour forms of angelfish together, just try to get them all the same size so they are evenly matched.

Most bottom dwellers are fine with angelfish and fish that are peaceful but not too active but are big enough not to be eaten by the angels when they mature.

Ok thanks! So I’m thinking;

(4) Angelfish
(1) Pearl Gourami
(1) Blue Acari Cichlid
(1) Keyhole Cichlid
(2) Bolivian Ram Cichlid
(1) Bristlenose Pleco
(1) Raphael Catfish.

Do you think that would work in a 55 gallon?

There are too many bottom dwelling cichlids for that tank. The blue acara might let a keyhole live there but those two will probably pick on the Bolivian ram.

Make sure you have some driftwood in the tank for the bristlenose catfish.

Assuming the water chemistry (pH & GH) is suitable, the rest of the fish should be fine together.

There are too many bottom dwelling cichlids for that tank. The blue acara might let a keyhole live there but those two will probably pick on the Bolivian ram.

Make sure you have some driftwood in the tank for the bristlenose catfish.

Assuming the water chemistry (pH & GH) is suitable, the rest of the fish should be fine together.

That makes sense. If I were to leave out the 2 Bolivian Cichlids do you have any suggestions on a fish(s), possibly a school of fish, to replace them with? Preferably something with a little color?

The stocking in post #3 will not work in a 55g tank.

First, when dealing with neotropical cichlids (this means cichlid species that occur in the tropics of the New World, i.e., South and Central America) different species of cichlids should not be combined unless the tank is very large and then depending upon the species involved. Also, gourami should not be combined with cichlids.

On the angelfish, a group must be minimum five, not two, three or four. Angelfish are shoaling fish but they develop as hierarchy within the group, and you need at least five to ensure aggressive behaviours are spread around. Also, all five (or more) must be added together at the same time. The hierarchy can form quickly and new comers are usually seen as unwanted intruders and in an aquarium which by its size provides no significant space for the fish to get out of each others' sight, this is usually disastrous.

The Raphael Catfish gets large, six inches up to eight inches, and it will readily eat any small fish. They have a very large mouth opening. Also, this is a nocturnal species, and this can make sedate fish like cichlids very nervous and stressed, which means poor health and more disease issues.

I'm going to disagree with Byron and say blue acaras and keyhole cichlids are relatively peaceful for cichlids and 1 of each should be fine together in a 4ft tank, and they should be fine with a pearl gourami too. And if you get females you will have less issues with them but keyhole cichlids can be hard to sex.

I didn't realise you had reduced the number of angelfish to 4 in post #3. Crank the number back up to 6 like in the original post.

If I were to leave out the 2 Bolivian Cichlids do you have any suggestions on a fish(s), possibly a school of fish, to replace them with? Preferably something with a little color?
If you get rid of the Raphael catfish you would have room for a group of Corydoras or Brochis. They aren't super brightly coloured but some of them are interesting and most of them have patterns. You could have 2 species of Corydoras with 5 or 6 in each group and they would cruise around together. You would see them more than a Raphael catfish too, which will spend 90% of its time hiding somewhere.

If you want a peaceful catfish that has some size, perhaps a black lancer catfish (Bagrichthys macracanthus). They are nice and have a relatively small mouth. Dr Googly reckons they grow to 10 inches but I have never seen one more than 8 inches and that incudes the tail.

I'm going to disagree with Byron and say blue acaras and keyhole cichlids are relatively peaceful for cichlids and 1 of each should be fine together in a 4ft tank, and they should be fine with a pearl gourami too. And if you get females you will have less issues with them but keyhole cichlids can be hard to sex.

I didn't realise you had reduced the number of angelfish to 4 in post #3. Crank the number back up to 6 like in the original post.

If you get rid of the Raphael catfish you would have room for a group of Corydoras or Brochis. They aren't super brightly coloured but some of them are interesting and most of them have patterns. You could have 2 species of Corydoras with 5 or 6 in each group and they would cruise around together. You would see them more than a Raphael catfish too, which will spend 90% of its time hiding somewhere.

If you want a peaceful catfish that has some size, perhaps a black lancer catfish (Bagrichthys macracanthus). They are nice and have a relatively small mouth. Dr Googly reckons they grow to 10 inches but I have never seen one more than 8 inches and that incudes the tail.

I just didn’t know if a 55 gallon was big enough for 6 angels +other fish? (just going off what I have been reading). I will look into that black lancer because I was hoping to get atleast 1 good size catfish. Thanks!

Last edited:
I just didn’t know if a 55 gallon was big enough for 6 angels +other fish? (just going off what I have been reading). I will look into that black lancer because I was hoping to get atleast 1 good size catfish. Thanks!

No it is not, and that was the basis of my prior post. Angelfish will attain six inches in body length, with a vertical fin span of eight inches. A group of five or six will fill a 4-foot 55g tank. Substrate fish like cories would work with this, and a Bristlenose pleco. And you could find a species or two of upper shoaling fish that are small but not too small or the angelfish will consider them food. Linear fish like neons are out; disk-shaped tetras like the Rosy are OK. But given the mix of angelfish, you might not want to detract from them with upper fish.

No it is not, and that was the basis of my prior post. Angelfish will attain six inches in body length, with a vertical fin span of eight inches. A group of five or six will fill a 4-foot 55g tank. Substrate fish like cories would work with this, and a Bristlenose pleco. And you could find a species or two of upper shoaling fish that are small but not too small or the angelfish will consider them food. Linear fish like neons are out; disk-shaped tetras like the Rosy are OK. But given the mix of angelfish, you might not want to detract from them with upper fish.

I see I see. So do you think the Blue Acari, Keyhole, and Pearl Gourami would be ok with 6 angelfish?

I see I see. So do you think the Blue Acari, Keyhole, and Pearl Gourami would be ok with 6 angelfish?

No.

Another thing to keep in mind is that six angelfish will almost certainly have both male and female. Immature angelfish the size one normally sees them in stores are next to impossible for determining gender. So that brings up what happens when a "pair" forms and decides to spawn? Not only does this make life for the other fish risky, the angelfish themselves must select their mates to be successful long-term so any male/female that do spawn may not actually have bonded and this will mean dead angelfish down the road, within a few months if not even sooner.

No.

Another thing to keep in mind is that six angelfish will almost certainly have both male and female. Immature angelfish the size one normally sees them in stores are next to impossible for determining gender. So that brings up what happens when a "pair" forms and decides to spawn? Not only does this make life for the other fish risky, the angelfish themselves must select their mates to be successful long-term so any male/female that do spawn may not actually have bonded and this will mean dead angelfish down the road, within a few months if not even sooner.

Darn that makes things more complicated. Is a singe angelfish a possibility? Along with the cichlids and Gourami. And possibly some other fish?

Yes you can keep a single angelfish with the dwarf cichlids and gourami but having a breeding pr of angels is nice and you can always sell the remaining fish to a pet shop. It will take about 12 months for a pr to form so you have plenty of time to think about it.

Yes you can keep a single angelfish with the dwarf cichlids and gourami but having a breeding pr of angels is nice and you can always sell the remaining fish to a pet shop. It will take about 12 months for a pr to form so you have plenty of time to think about it.

I like the idea of having more than one angel but to be completely honest I have no desire to breed them. Can you think of any good colorful schooling fish that would work with the single angel/cichlids/gourami/catfish?

maybe gold barbs, ruby barbs, rosy tetras or bleeding heart tetras are about all I can think of.

Most reactions

trending

Back