Angelfish Growth And Breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NomNomTiger

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I bought some small angels because I am fairly good at determining sex even very young. But anyways. I was wondering how big the angels need to be from nose to the start of the back fin (so abdomin, ex nickle size cause they are round) till they can start breeding.?

I've heard around 7.5 cm or 3" but I don't know how accurate that is. I was hoping to breed them as well but I had one pass :(

Mine started spawning at 4" I just get no luck raising the fry.

NomNomTiger said:
I bought some small angels because I am fairly good at determining sex even very young. But anyways. I was wondering how big the angels need to be from nose to the start of the back fin (so abdomin, ex nickle size cause they are round) till they can start breeding.?

I lol at this when you had this topic going a while back - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423998-angelfish-eggs-always-infertile-who-is-the-problem/

Anywhere between 5-7 months and 5cm+ is breeding size. Depends how well conditioned they are.

Good luck telling the sex at 'nickel' size.

actually, I've raised 4 from nickel size and was correct about their sexes. If it makes you feel more like a champ, I spend my days watching my fish because I have chronic lyme disease and cannot even manage walk properly. I also found out that it is the male doing a sloppy job of fertilization. He's new to the process and simply not good at parent raising. My other couple I got are extremely successful when they do not spawn on the filter. my african cichlids are doing amazing too.

I feel like apologising to you NomNomTiger after reading your other post :(  of course watching and studying angels you can tell the sex, ok its not as simple as other species but watching, observing and noting tiny differences it is possible. I sexed my group of 7 angels correctly and ended up with 3 pairs and a spare female, who I put with another male, but she always produces eggs that go bad, I guess this was why she didnt get picked by the other males in the group.

NomNomTiger, You might have a case of 'confused lesbian fish' (no idea what the actual term is, but this one keeps me entertained).
I had a very happy pair of angels who would lay constantly, almost to the hour every 2 weeks. But alas, my eggs would never get passed the 48 hour mark without all turning white.

I thought it was due to the fact that they had never bred before, and perhaps the male was a little unsure of his role in all of this, but it wasn't until I was watching extremely closely one day that I realised that they were BOTH laying eggs.

Now, i'm not expert but that isn't supposed to happen!  The two female angels had managed to pair off with each other, in a tank filled with plenty of other MALE angels to choose from. Just not good.

To counter this, I simply seperated the females and conditioned them with what I knew to be a male. Now, inbetween spawning sessions they are returned to the community tank and the two 'lesbian fish' refuse to even see eye-to-eye, let alone spawn together.

From what you've been saying above, this might be your case as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back