Angelfish fins?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Came home from work and noticed 2 of my angelfishes fins looked squished and inflamed at the base. Unsure of what this is. If it matters the silver with black stripes is a confirmed female and the other is male. However I've seen no indication of mating behavior. I performed a 30% water change to be safe. Water parameters tested safely as well. I'm going to test again in the morning but if anyone could help me with this is appreciate it. The females colors are light as I had just turned on the light and spooked her. Her stripes quickly darkened when she started begging for food after I took the photos.
45238214_2230603923624784_989564167260209152_n.jpg

45323538_2230603946958115_6014186294488334336_n.jpg

45249918_2230604223624754_929473339951415296_n.jpg

Can you post a picture of each fish from the side showing their entire body and fins?
Their fins look a little clamped and that could be bacterial or protozoan.

The red part where the pectoral fin meets the body is not normal and is weird. It is probably inflammation from something that happened during the night. It is interesting how it is on 2 fish in the same place. Perhaps they had a fight or got caught and panicked and damaged it.

I would monitor it for a few days and see how it goes. If it gets worse or goes red, or white and fluffy, then post more pics and look for a broad spectrum medication. However, if it's only physical damage (swelling, inflammation) and not caused by bacteria, it should heal up by itself in a few days and you wont need medication to treat it.

Can you post a picture of each fish from the side showing their entire body and fins?
Their fins look a little clamped and that could be bacterial or protozoan.

The red part where the pectoral fin meets the body is not normal and is weird. It is probably inflammation from something that happened during the night. It is interesting how it is on 2 fish in the same place. Perhaps they had a fight or got caught and panicked and damaged it.

I would monitor it for a few days and see how it goes. If it gets worse or goes red, or white and fluffy, then post more pics and look for a broad spectrum medication. However, if it's only physical damage (swelling, inflammation) and not caused by bacteria, it should heal up by itself in a few days and you wont need medication to treat it.
The redness at the base of the fins is the same on either side of their bodies. Additionally the ends of their fins, especially on my veiltail, are "squished". Similar if I pinched the end of a clay piece. They aren't clamped in the sense of being held against the body, but clamped as in "smushed" towards the ends on the fins. I was concerned it might be columnaris, but I've yet to see any white tufts on their bodies or the saddleback marking research tells me appears. The striped one does have a few white dicolorations on one of her fins, though they are not raised or fluffy in nature, simply a discoloration of the tissue. I can get more photos in the morning, I already gave them a fright when I turned the tank lights on after dark. Last thing I want is one of them going headfirst into the tank wall/driftwood.

Their fins look a little clamped and that could be bacterial.

I've tested the water again this afternoon. Readings are 7.5 to 8.0 for ph. Nitrites and nitrates 0ppm. Ammonia was reading at .25ppm so I went ahead and dis another partial 30% Water change. One angel has only one red fin base. The other remains the same. I will update with front view pictures shortly.

This is far from normal. My angelfish all have translucent fins and are usually very healthy. Any sudden changes in body like discoloration or negative changes to the fins is a potential sign of illness. Like how theirs are smudged and red. NEVER assume that sudden changes in a fish's body like this are "normal".

Most reactions

trending

Back