Angelfish dying...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

noclueman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought 2 angels about 4 months ago for my 10 gallon tank. One white with black, the other is black/grey all over. The white one has been doing fine. The black one got sick during the first month (parasites) which was cured with salt and heat. A friend of mine told me that should help. Since then the black angel has been ok, he just doesn't seem to eat much, if at all. They were both about the size of nickels when I bought them, now the white one is about the size of a half dollar and the black one hasn't changed a bit, he is also very thin. He never eats flakes off the surface, I have only seem him eat after the food sinks, and most of the time he spits it back out.

Tonight, he looks like he is about to die. He seems to have no energy to swim. He's just staying in the corner out of the current because when he gets near the filter it just pushes him around. He still moves his side fins a little bit, but he's basically got his nose up in the corner of the tank and tries not to move.

Also, I cleaned my tank earlier today, took out about 25% of the water and refilled like normal.

I don't know what to do, any ideas?

Thanks,
noclueman

I have 3 red eyed tetra, a chinese algae eater, and 2 zebra danios also ... 1 zebra danio died yesterday but I don't know how...he was stuck to the filter when I got home =(

Hi!
Do you have test kits? If so, what are your amonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. As for the food, do you give them the same flake food always? I would suggest that you change the food, and as part of a healty diet, do give treats like bloodworms, brineshrimp, etc. Good luck!

no, I don't have a test kit. I have taken water samples in to get them tested, but I can't give you the results. They just told me the water is ok.

Yes, I have always used the same food (TetraMin tropical flakes). I will try switching up the food some...I hope he makes it that long.

He's just kind of swirling around with the current most of the time, I don't think he'll make it through the night. :/

Try giving him some blood worms They seem to make a poorly fish do a lot better when it comes to eating... That sounds like high nitrite to me. You should try doing another water change about 25 percent again... Also add a little salt to if you dont have any scaless fish.

You know, you may want to throw a piece of lettuce in some boiling water just to wilt it and put that in your tank till you can get to the LFS. When you get the bloodworms, try and get the frozen, not freeze dried ones. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Erin

Lettuce doesn't do anything except that maybe give the angel that isn't eating something to eat till you get some different food.

have you tried feeding them live food??
live food would be much better for angels

or have you just been feeding flakes??

When my angels get sick they wont eat anything but live worms, they'll spit everything else out.

fish need to have a balanced diet like us.

Whne i feed my angels live food they cant get enough of it!!

Thanks for all the advice....

I went out this morning and bought some blood worms. The other angel likes them, along with my other fish. But the black angel wouldn't even try to eat any. He did make it through the night, but he is in horrible shape now. For a while he was swimming at the top of the tank, sideways, in circles. It looks like he is having a hard time breathing too.

any minute now :/

It sounds to me like his not eating is a symptom and not the cause of the little guy's problem. Methinks he probably never fully recovered from the parasites. I have a similar thing going on with one out of 3 of my angels that were treated for fungus. The one guy just doesn't seem to be getting back to normal, isn't eating as well as the others, and is staying small while the others are flourishing. Sorry no answers, but I recognize the scenario.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back