Angelfish & Dwarf Cichlids ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yeoman109

Reaction score
Ive got a Juwel Rio 180 with current stock of:
6 Angelfish (2 Gold Marble, 2 Koi Blue Flash, 1 Albino Scribble, 1 Platinum Silver)
4 Gouramis (2 Pearl, 2 Opaline)
2 Paradise fish
1 Clown Loach

I was wondering if I could get some dwarf Cichlids to go in the tank ?!
If so, what ones could I get ?
Are they compatible with Angels ?

My tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVlBeZX4ZhE (poor quality, iphone)

img_1211.jpg

img_1214.jpg

img_1215.jpg

Cheers !

Dan

Can I ask why you have 6 angel fish in a tiny tank?

Just curious.

And the clown loach, They prefer to be in groups of 6 and need a tank around 400-500L.

My local fish shop said I can have up to 6 Angel's in a 180 litre

Rearrange your stock and you can get a pair of Apistogramma's or Kribensis.
I'd say reduce or clear the Angels as they are highly overstocking your tank. Remove the Clown Loach, they need groups and get to between 12-18" each so need a big 500 litre tanks minimum. the Gourami's and Paradise fish will start fighting eventually.

Also, do you have "Sucking Loach" in the tank?

How many Angel's do you recommend I go down too ? Don't really want to get rid of all of them !

Yes I have a couple of algae eaters in the tank (not sure of their proper name)

Thanks for the advice !

Yeoman109 said:
How many Angel's do you recommend I go down too ? Don't really want to get rid of all of them !

Yes I have a couple of algae eaters in the tank (not sure of their proper name)

Thanks for the advice !

Angels need to either be kept alone, in established breeding pairs or in groups of 6 so unless you are going to just keep one you'll have to get rid of all of them unless you have 2 that are breeding or something and even then it's not bound to work as they may suddenly decide they don't like each other if they're still young. The reason for this is because with angels being mid-aggressive cichlids they like to pick on each other and if there are odd numbers(3 or something) then 2 will gang up and attack the other. Seen it happen so many times. 

Can you get a picture of the algae eaters as they look like CAE(Chinese Algae Eaters) which turn nasty when they mature. They develop a taste for eyes and slime coats.

I dont have any breeding pairs (at the moment) and they are still relatively young.

One of the algae eaters:

Yeoman109 said:
I dont have any breeding pairs (at the moment) and they are still relatively young.

One of the algae eaters:

Yep so you'd need to keep just one unless they start pairing off in the next week or so :/ Angels grow quickly and mature quickly luckily.
And yes I'd get rid of the Algae Eaters. They are Chinese Algae Eaters which as I've said tend to develop a taste for fish eyes and slime coats :/

Be a shame to take them back but if thats what I need to do !

I only got the algae eaters to control the algae levels in my tank and there not doing a very good job anyway !

Yeoman109 said:
Be a shame to take them back but if thats what I need to do !

I only got the algae eaters to control the algae levels in my tank and there not doing a very good job anyway !

How big are the CAE? Once they reach about 3-4" they start to ignore algae and turn on fish. If they don't start pairing off in a week or so I'd say you can possibly try keeping 2 together and see how they go since they are still young... Not sure how it would work out but if you don't try it you'll never know.

All of them apart from one are around about an inch, one is nearer 2"

Yeah i'll give it a go !

Yeoman109 said:
All of them apart from one are around about an inch, one is nearer 2"

Yeah i'll give it a go !

Hmm, they may be early starters. They usually don't change till about 3" but some never eat algae.
Let me know how it goes :)

They haven't really seemed to reduce the algae levels or control the algae levels in my tank since the day I got them

I need a different way to reduce the algae levels in my tank ! any ideas ?

Yeoman109 said:
They haven't really seemed to reduce the algae levels or control the algae levels in my tank since the day I got them

I need a different way to reduce the algae levels in my tank ! any ideas ?

You could get a smaller plec but they make as much mess as they clean and need feeding other things as well as algae.

Most reactions

trending

Back