Angelfish Can Change Eye Color?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Pacho

Reaction score
I had received (What I thought was 2) two angelfish a few months ago. One had normal eyes and the other had orangish/red eyes. For what ever reason, one of my angelfish disappeared. The one with normal eyes. I took everything out of the tank thinking he was in hiding, but couldn't find it. Later on I found what looked like to be a bone in the shape of a short whisker, so I figured it somehow was eaten by the other fish.

Next day I decided to count my fish daily to see if any go missing. That's when I noticed my angelfish with red eyes wasn't there, but an angelfish with normal eyes was swimming around. I was like huh. Thinking to myself it was the other angelfish that went missing. So I take everything out, count the fish, and see there is only one angelfish. I just gave up on it and let it be. The next day sure enough there was red eyes swimming around. I thought maybe its eyes change when I turn the light off, to red, and when the light is on it it goes back to normal. I've been looking up angelfish, but haven't found anything about them changing eye colors.

I also turned the light off and on to see if it would change, it doesn't. It happens every now and then.

I started questioning if I even did receive 2 angelfish, or just one. I've kind of kept my eye on it, but can't be there for hours. If I can't find an answer I'm just gonna get one of those pregnant fish box things you put in fishtanks and trap him in there.

my angelfish eyes also changes color..notice that when they are active, the eyes turns red..

what do you mean you thought you received two angelfish but now you think it might have just been one..? Did you not count them when you put them in the tank? They're fairly easy to count in the bag...

@Caspia: Good to know! I've been checking up on it and it seems to change.. sometimes having half red and white. Pretty cool.

@coldcazzie: It's a new tank. I had purchased a bunch of fish, about 16+ at once so they can all grow together. Instead of introducing new fish. This whole angelfish thing has played with my mind. No clue where the other angelfish went. Every other fish is alive and fine.

Do you think its maybe just the same angel, but it has 1 normal eye and 1 red eye? :D and every time you see it its just facing the other way?

Or am I just bein daft haha

G

Or maybe there is 2 but they are tricking you ;)

angelfish eyes can change colour as they get older so there is a possibility that they have.

i find it a bit odd that an angelfish can just vanish!!!!!! even if it died it wouldnt get eaten that fast

Lol. Yeah it's actually just the same fish. I've been looking at him daily since then and see his eyes change from red, to his normal skin color white. Sometimes its a fade orange.

I read on google answers about someones angelfish doing the same and he found out it was because of change in water temperature. I'm not sure if that is the cause or not.

@garyspence84: I made sure to check for that also haha xD

Most reactions

trending

Back