Angelfish breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Erica27

Reaction score
yesterday I saw my angelfish lay eggs in my community tank, I was so excited because I wanted to breed angelfish. But I was very upset because the other fish ate them all. So I was wondering how long will it be before she will lay eggs again. I now have another tank running that will be ready soon. Also if anyone has any advice, I have never breed angelfish so I would love to hear it!!

yesterday I saw my angelfish lay eggs in my community tank, I was so excited because I wanted to breed angelfish. But I was very upset because the other fish ate them all. So I was wondering how long will it be before she will lay eggs again. I now have another tank running that will be ready soon. Also if anyone has any advice, I have never breed angelfish so I would love to hear it!!
After you move the pair to another tank it could be a few weeks before they lay again.

The pair themselves may eat the eggs the first few attempts.

If you want to for sure raise the fry you can remove the parents after a couple of days and take care of them yourself.

Be aware not many shops will pay you for the fry and you need to raise them for 5 to 8 months. In this time you'll need at least a 40 gallon tank to grow out the babies along with weekly 25% water changes and allot of varied live and flake foods.

You will need live micro worms and daphnia the first couple weeks and gradually move on to freeze dried brine and crushed flake the 3rd and forth weeks.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Leave the pr in the community tank for a few batches. The other fish will distract the adults and help the angelfish form a better bond. After a few batches you can move the adults into another tank if you like but normally the adult fish will learn to protect their eggs and young. If the other fish continue to eat the young fish and the adults can't protect any, then move the adults into another tank.

You can set up a new tank using water and some of the filter media from the established tank. then you don't have to cycle the new tank.

If you do move the adults into a new tank, it can stop them breeding for a bit so try to do it as a last resort.

-----------------------
If you feed the babies well and do lots of big water changes, you can sell them when 2-3 months old. The best temperature is 28C, best food is newly hatched brineshrimp fed to them as soon as they start swimming about. Do daily water changes and keep their bellies full so they look like pregnant guppies.

The following link has info on culturing live foods and hatching brineshrimp eggs.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/#post-3790221

Leave the pr in the community tank for a few batches. The other fish will distract the adults and help the angelfish form a better bond. After a few batches you can move the adults into another tank if you like but normally the adult fish will learn to protect their eggs and young. If the other fish continue to eat the young fish and the adults can't protect any, then move the adults into another tank.

You can set up a new tank using water and some of the filter media from the established tank. then you don't have to cycle the new tank.

If you do move the adults into a new tank, it can stop them breeding for a bit so try to do it as a last resort.

-----------------------
If you feed the babies well and do lots of big water changes, you can sell them when 2-3 months old. The best temperature is 28C, best food is newly hatched brineshrimp fed to them as soon as they start swimming about. Do daily water changes and keep their bellies full so they look like pregnant guppies.

The following link has info on culturing live foods and hatching brineshrimp eggs.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/#post-3790221
I have never really heard of keeping the angelfish in for a few batches. I just feel very bad because my female angelfish seemed so stressed. It took her almost a whole day to lay the eggs and Iā€™m still not sure if there all out because the thing where she lays her eggs from her body is still sticking out. So even got nipped a couple of times from my other fish. So I just thought to reduce stress it would be better just to take the pair out.

I have never really heard of keeping the angelfish in for a few batches. I just feel very bad because my female angelfish seemed so stressed. It took her almost a whole day to lay the eggs and Iā€™m still not sure if there all out because the thing where she lays her eggs from her body is still sticking out. So even got nipped a couple of times from my other fish. So I just thought to reduce stress it would be better just to take the pair out.
The pair I'm working with right now reside in a 65g community tank along with some rainbow fish and blue Rams and clown loaches. When I see them cleaning and preparing a spot to lay eggs I move them into a 29 gal established tank with no tankmates.

They will typically lay within a week of being moved. I turn the temperature up to 82/84 the first month while they raise the fry.
The tank gets 20% water changes weekly during this period. I remove water through the hang on back filter to not disturb the pair and fry.

I don't hatch brine shrimp. I use micro worms and frozen baby brine and first bites (daphnia). The fry grow fairly fast and eventually I move on the grindel worms and crushed flakes and freeze dried brine shrimp.

I don't sell the babies I donate them to local shops when there between quarter and half dollar size.

My current pair are Gold Marbles and produce both solid gold and gold marble along with a small percentage of silvers.

I generally keep the babies about 6 months before giving them away.

I'm currently working on keeping just the solid gold and working with them for the next year.

Where do your angelfish normally lay there eggs. Mine lakes them on the heater so I was just wondering if that would be bad. Also will you leave the pair in there with the fry, and if so for how long.

Where do your angelfish normally lay there eggs. Mine lakes them on the heater so I was just wondering if that would be bad. Also will you leave the pair in there with the fry, and if so for how long.
The current pair lay eggs on the Anubias leaves. On the heater or filter stem is bad.
Try some broad leaf plants or long pieces of slate. You could even lean the slate against the heater if not too big and done carefully.

I'll remove the parents on or around the third week because they will likely start cleaning and wanting to lay again. After about two months the babies get moved to a 40 breader or two twenty gallons, depending on what is available.

31583d73bf50ef780dcf8f0c3ce003fa.jpg

29ecfca366b57130f0744f6c271a7d8a.jpg

The bow front is really hard to photograph
But theirs about 40 to 50 babies in their with the parents

Last edited:
Iā€™ve never seen a breeding tank with gravel, I was planning on it being plain with some hanging plants with a sponge filter. I thought it would be easier for water changes.

Iā€™ve never seen a breeding tank with gravel, I was planning on it being plain with some hanging plants with a sponge filter. I thought it would be easier for water changes.
Yeah that tank is in the dining room
I've had great luck with that tank
I've raised gold severm's, angels and Rams in their.

The grow out tanks are bare bottom

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back