Angelfish & Balloon Molly. Plus other questions!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

We need the actual numbers for pH and hardness. There is no such thing as perfect, different fish just like it differently, so it makes sense to keep fish that will thrive in the water you are able to provide for them. Your water supplier's website will have the values from their tests in the last year. They are legally required to make this available (your mention of Maidenhead Aquatics leads me to assume you are in the UK). Remember we need the units too for hardness because different suppliers measure these differently.

As for MAQ... Different stores have different levels. I have 2 branches within 10 miles. One of these I will not use because the staff are completely clueless. They like to sound like experts and always have an answer for everything but they are usually wrong. The other store I trust implicitly so that's the one I use - even though it is further away. Even so I know the guys there and if I don't recognise the person I am speaking to (students and new staff have a right to work too :)) I ask for one of the others by name if I need help or advice that requires "expert" knowlege.

BTW as others have pointed out it is not possible for your water to be perfect for the species you have. It may be possible for your water to be tolerable for all of them but to advise on that we need the actual numbers for the test results.

Would you advise me not to add anything else to my tank then Colin?
No I wouldn't add any new fish.

Just let the tank run, keep feeding down and do regular water changes. When you get the bigger tank you can move the angelfish, loach and neons into it and leave the mollies in the current tank. Then everyone will be happy, including the people on the forum :)

You asked for help, but are refusing to listen to the members who do know and have tried to help. So I will cut to the issue bluntly.

You must return the loach and the angelfish. They will not be healthy in this tank because it is too small and the loach must have a group of at least five and there is no room for that.

As for the molly, balloon mollies are genetically modified and will have health problems solely because of that. You should never buy balloon fish, it is a cruel practice to the fish and purchasing them only continues the practice. Aside from that, mollies need hard-ish water or they will not last anyway.

You cannot use numbers to determine how many fish in a tank. Each species of fish has evolved over thousands of years to require specific environmental conditions, and without these they will not be healthy. Numbers f thee species are part of this; shoaling fish refers to a species that lives in groups, often hundreds, and without others of its own species it will be highly stressed and weakened. Loaches are shoaling fish, as are tetras. Mollies are not.

Please take the advice we are giving you, your fish are not going to be healthy. There is a lot one must know to have healthy and happy fish, and members here want to give you help to achieve that.

Defo not refusing help.. Just saying what I’ve been told and asking questions so don’t chuck blunt comments thinking you can be little someone who is new to something. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I wouldn't add any new fish.

Just let the tank run, keep feeding down and do regular water changes. When you get the bigger tank you can move the angelfish, loach and neons into it and leave the mollies in the current tank. Then everyone will be happy, including the people on the forum :)

Thank you Colin I will keep it as it is and when I get my new tank I shall refer back to you for help. I may have possibly just sorted giving my Balloon Mollies back too pet store anyways.

Thanks again mate, I like how polite you are [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back