Angel Fish Eaten

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My second 55 gallon tank I have 2 angel fish and 4 bueno aires tetra. Just whet outside for about an hour to do yard work, came in and one of my angel fish were eaten up. Before I left the angel fish was fine and still swimming around! I'm assuming that my tetra did this but why? are the going to kill my other angel fish? Should the angel fish be moved to my tropical, non-aggressive fish tank so the tetra don't eat it? Or will the angel fish not be a good fish to put in with my guppies, mollies, and gourami? Help please!

My second 55 gallon tank I have 2 angel fish and 4 bueno aires tetra. Just whet outside for about an hour to do yard work, came in and one of my angel fish were eaten up. Before I left the angel fish was fine and still swimming around! I'm assuming that my tetra did this but why? are the going to kill my other angel fish? Should the angel fish be moved to my tropical, non-aggressive fish tank so the tetra don't eat it? Or will the angel fish not be a good fish to put in with my guppies, mollies, and gourami? Help please!

In my experience angel fish can be aggressive with each other, but maybe that was just my two. How big is your angel fish? I would avoid putting it in a community only tank.

I'm not ruling that out yet, but the two angel fish always stayed together and never seemed to pick on each other. I did also see the tetras trying to eat what was left of it before I got it out, not the other angel.

I'm not ruling that out yet, but the two angel fish always stayed together and never seemed to pick on each other. I did also see the tetras trying to eat what was left of it before I got it out, not the other angel.

I wish I had more answers for you. How big is the remaining angel? You might *try* and see how the angel does in the other tank for a few hours but be ready to grab it out of it gets too aggressive.

The remaining angel is a little big larger than the one that died. Instead of moving it, I fed the tetra good in hopes that might keep them full.

Most likely, your angelfish died of some other reason, like high nitrates or stress, and then the tetras started eating the body. Fish nibble on dead bodies all of the time. You should probably test your water. Buenos Aires tetras are bigger and more aggressive than most tetras, and unless 2 angels are a pair, they will bully each other to no end. Either sticking to 1, having 6+, or finding 2 that are already paired off is best.

Thanks for the info. I have tested my water though and it is perfect, no problems there. It just seems so odd that before I left it was still swimming around showing no signs of anything and I come back an hour later and its almost completely gone..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back