Ammonium Sulfate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I'm planning on Fishless cycling my new 60 gallon tank. Now I know that ammonium chloride and ammonium hydroxide work. For me those are a bit harder to get because they're used in bombs so my country has outlawed the commercial use of such items. I can get my hands on the fertilizer ammonium sulfate (as a powder). Will sulfate residue in my tank kill the fish or beneficial bacteria?

Sulfur and its oxidized form are also needed by plants for proper growth. In fact your own body also needs it. Although you get all you need through Food. The macro nutrients plants need are nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, sulfur, calcium, and magnesium. Another form of Ammonia that may be available to you is Ammonia carbonate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_carbonate

It was once commonly used as backing powder. Some people still prefer it. you might find it in grocery store or online.

I have not read of anyone using the carbonate or sulfate versions for fishes cycle. So I cannot say for sure that it will cycle an aquarium. Be advised that some ammonia test kits will not detect Ammonia chloride and i suspect that its the same for ammonia carbonate and ammonia sulfate. Since you cannot measure it in an aquarium you will have to weigh it. if you want about 0.003grams of ammonia sulfate or ammonia carbonate per liter of water in your tank. Your nitrite and nitrate tests should still work so you will know it is working when you see nitrite.

Adding a good plant fertilizer to your tank would also help because bacterial also need many of the nutrients in a good complete fertilizer such as Sezachen Flourish comprehensive.

Sulfur and its oxidized form are also needed by plants for proper growth. In fact your own body also needs it. Although you get all you need through Food. The macro nutrients plants need are nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, sulfur, calcium, and magnesium. Another form of Ammonia that may be available to you is Ammonia carbonate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_carbonate

It was once commonly used as backing powder. Some people still prefer it. you might find it in grocery store or online.

I have not read of anyone using the carbonate or sulfate versions for fishes cycle. So I cannot say for sure that it will cycle an aquarium. Be advised that some ammonia test kits will not detect Ammonia chloride and i suspect that its the same for ammonia carbonate and ammonia sulfate. Since you cannot measure it in an aquarium you will have to weigh it. if you want about 0.003grams of ammonia sulfate or ammonia carbonate per liter of water in your tank. Your nitrite and nitrate tests should still work so you will know it is working when you see nitrite.

Adding a good plant fertilizer to your tank would also help because bacterial also need many of the nutrients in a good complete fertilizer such as Sezachen Flourish comprehensive.
Thanks for the reply :)

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back