Ammonia Sources in the USA, UK &

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It is not advisable to ship pure ammonia since it is seen as a toxic and
hazardous chemical.

I am going crazy trying to find this stuff.
I've tried my closest Robert Dyas and 2 Homebases with no luck. I've phoned another couple, but it's like talking to a parrot.

Anyone know a particular shop in East or Central London that sells it?
Any online suppliers in the UK?
Perhaps someone could tell me the manufacturer, brand name, bar code & where it was purchased from a recent purchase - then I can at least ask for a specific product.

Cheers
Moon

Robert Dyas no Tottenham Court Road (near Warren Street tube station, next door to Boots) do seel it. However, the one they have doesn't tell you what % solution it is. As it is sold as 'household ammonia' then it will probably be the usual 9.5%.

I eventually found mine in a non-chain chemist on Essex Road. Most smaller chemists will have the stuff. Again, it was called household ammonia, from a company called "Barretine" and the product is called "AmmoKlean".

I don't know what risk there would be. Urine is mainly water, ammonia and a few other waste products common to most excretions of that sort. Of course you might get funny looks from friends or neighbors who see you doing it. :p

urine does not have ammonia in it has ammonium but if you boil your urine (bit smelly and ruins your pans) you will get pure ammonia, its the way i get it got making gun powder :p

For the UK people:

I just bought some Jeyes Ammonia Multi-Purpose Household Cleaner. It's in a different looking bottle to the one posted on page 1, but I think it's the same stuff. Cost a piffling £1.59!

Only one thing bothers me at the moment: there's no list of ingredients. So not only do I not know how concentrated it is (not that important I suppose), I don't know if there are other things in it. It certainly smells like it's unperfumed though.

I'll be looking at the Jeyes site for info soon....

Irf.

Has anyone in Vancouver actually found ammonia anywhere? I looked in Safeway and Canadian Tire today and neither had any.

I'm setting my 1st ever fish tank and i'm going to do a fishless cycle, and I happened to already have ammonia at the house, yet saw it was ammonium hydroxide. I'm taking chemistry right now and am smart enough to know the diff between NH4 and NH3OH. But if yall says it works I believe you. However, I saw someone mentioned you could just pee in your tank. This is firstly very in accurate and you'd be putting much more unwanted substrates into your water as well. Firstly, fish pee ammonia. We pee urea.. hence urine. Fish and lizards pee uric acid but that's beside the point. Anyhow, Ammonia can be broken down in water but urea not so easily. You'd basically be poisoning your fish by peeing in the tank.

I'm setting my 1st ever fish tank and i'm going to do a fishless cycle, and I happened to already have ammonia at the house, yet saw it was ammonium hydroxide. I'm taking chemistry right now and am smart enough to know the diff between NH4 and NH3OH. But if yall says it works I believe you. However, I saw someone mentioned you could just pee in your tank. This is firstly very in accurate and you'd be putting much more unwanted substrates into your water as well. Firstly, fish pee ammonia. We pee urea.. hence urine. Fish and lizards pee uric acid but that's beside the point. Anyhow, Ammonia can be broken down in water but urea not so easily. You'd basically be poisoning your fish by peeing in the tank.
Ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH) will work. It's just an aqueous solution of ammonia. That's the stuff I used and I think most ammonia you find in stores is that stuff too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back