Ammonia Dosage For Planted 64L Fishless Cycle?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ShamefulCrayon

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Sunday's the day I'll be starting my fishless cycle in my new 64L tank. I'm off to buy the plants tomorrow - 2 anubias, a couple of Hemianthus and some mirco grass. I wouldn't call it a "heavily" planted tank by any means, but given that with my 22L nano tank the nitrates frequently test at 0ppm - or very close - I may be wrong but I think that's something to do with the large anubias in it.

My question is - with the plants I want for this new tank, can anyone give me an idea of the amount of ammonia I want to dose my tank to? Does it even matter as long as I get it cycling? Will the plants affect the ammonia levels or make a difference to the cycle? I was thinking of either 3 or 5ppm.

Thanks
Charley

Short answer: yes, the plants will effect the ammonia levels.  I would suggest to cycle the tank before you add plants.  Once the tank is fully cycled than go ahead and add plants.

If you still chose to add plants before you start to cycle I would recommend dosing up to 5ppm of ammonia since the plants will use the ammonia as an extra source of nutrients.  However, when I cycle tanks, I dose 5ppm ammonia anyways and I don't have plants in while I'm cycling.

However, I still highly suggest you wait to add plants until the cycle is complete.

So add the plants at the end of the cycle when I do a water change to remove the built up nitrates?

Yes that is what I would do.  After the cycle is complete then add plants.

That's great, thanks for the advice. Means I can start it off tomorrow too!

fatheadminnow said:
Short answer: yes, the plants will effect the ammonia levels.  I would suggest to cycle the tank before you add plants.  Once the tank is fully cycled than go ahead and add plants.

If you still chose to add plants before you start to cycle I would recommend dosing up to 5ppm of ammonia since the plants will use the ammonia as an extra source of nutrients.  However, when I cycle tanks, I dose 5ppm ammonia anyways and I don't have plants in while I'm cycling.

However, I still highly suggest you wait to add plants until the cycle is complete.

This is an outdated recommended level of ammonia at 5ppm.

The revised figure thats recommended by scientist such as Dr Hovanec and very knowledgable folks, is 3ppm. This is a tried and tested level of ammonia.

The cycling ammonia dosages on this forum used to be 5ppm, but finding this to be at a too high level that could cause issues during cycles, so since a few years ago, the standard is now at 3ppm, less so if nano tanks or very low stocking level.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

I still dose up to 5ppm with no issues what so ever.  I understand you get your figures from someone with a big name.  However, I have done my own studies and research and I have very good success.  Thanks.

With that I would suggest 2ppm to 5ppm.  I will do some studies involving lower levels of ammonia and graph the results and compare that to a higher level of ammonia.  I think we can all learn a few things from this.  Plus it will give us a very good visualization.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back